The Data Analyst will be part of our growing Data Strategy & Analytics team. The person will work as both a technical business resource and data analyst to help prioritise requirements based on value and effort, perform data analysis and drive actionable insights.
This person will be a key technical member of analytical projects from the beginning stages of requirements gathering all the way through final product delivery. Thus, this role will require a person equally comfortable with analytical reporting, programming data products, and communicating with outside business units.
This will be a hands-on technical role, which will require the ability to assess gaps in functionality, design technical or procedural solutions and ensure they are implemented to suit the business needs.
The Analyst will be comfortable with the connection and analysis of large, disparate data sets from a variety of sources in order to better understand viewers, increase consumer engagement, optimise ad placement, and improve our products. This person will need both creativity and attention to detail as they envision and build data solutions that change the face of the TV industry.
1. Work closely with the Data Technology team to scope, document, extract, transform and load new data sources into Discovery’s central data repository for analytics.
2. Measure and analyze data quality and performance within Discovery’s central data repository for analytics.
3. Work closely with Engineering and Information Security teams to ensure proper access scopes.
4. Test and QA data coming from various sources to make sure it is legible, clean and transformed before reporting is performed.
1. Work with managers and stakeholders to fully understand business requirements and desired outcomes.
2. Document and record data definitions and structure as well as specifications for Business Intelligence reports abd dashboards.
3. Design and build data tables.
4. QA and test various calculations of dashboards based on business requirements
5. Develop and deploy various analytics dashboards.
6. Assist in scoping and designing analytical projects and solutions.
7. Execute analytics projects ranging from small to large either individually or as part of a project team.
8. Ensure project delivery within the allocated timelines and priorities.
9. Generate queries and data dictionaries, analyse data and create visualisation/dashboards related to audience and direct-to-consumer insights.
10. Extract, understand, format and map data from multiple sources into cohesive reports.
11. Utilise Business Intelligence tools to build reports and dashboards that will allow departments to visualise and interact with data.
12. Identify gaps and areas of improvement related to data analytics.
13. Support roll-out of multiple sprints as a key technical resource.
1. Data cleansing and preparation for analysis.
2. Work closely with our Data Science team to support data and statistical models.
3. Identify opportunities to create and automate repeatable analysis or build self-service tools for business users.
4. Identify the best analytics delivery mechanism for individual business units, ranging from Spreadsheet add-ons to database tables to visualized reports, and build to fit.
5. Create repeatable processes to support similar business problems in the future.
6. Stay current with new analytical tools, code frameworks, and industry trends.
* Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Marketing, Data Analytics, Mathematics or Data Science.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with at least 2-3 years of work experience.
* Proficiency in SQL and hands-on experience with relational databases is a must.
* Deep experience in developing queries and reporting based upon user requirements.
* Experience with data visualisation tools such as Tableau and Power BI.
* An understanding of web analytics services.
* 1+ year of experience with the following:
* A desire to learn new programming languages, frameworks, and techniques both personally and on the job.
* Genuine interest in the rapidly changing media industry.
* Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
sterling, virginia, va, dmv