Discovery Inc. is the global leader in real-life entertainment, engaging superfans with a portfolio of premium non-fiction and sports programming brands, including Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery (ID), OWN and Eurosport, reaching 3 billion cumulative viewers across pay-TV and free-to-air platforms in more than 220 countries and territories. The company is also growing and launching a range of direct-to-consumer passion verticals, including Food Network Kitchen, GOLFTV, the Eurosport Player, and MotorTrend, as well as upcoming home and factual/natural history products.
With a seat at the table for key business units, the Corporate Communications team provides support from strategy to execution in communications, corporate engagement, corporate relations and social media across the company, including the Office of the CEO, Ad Sales, Domestic Distribution, Social Good, Direct-to-Consumer, Consumer Products, Discovery Digital, Finance, People & Culture, Global Talent Management & Operations, Legal and more.
The VP, Corporate Communications is a senior member of the Corporate Communications team. This new role will report to and support the Executive Vice President of Global Corporate Communications, who leads all global communications and serves as the chief spokesperson for the company. This role will work closely with corporate communications colleagues both in the U.S. and internationally, and support the company’s senior leadership and growth plan. The VP role will execute PR and communications strategies aligned with the company’s priorities, mission and values, ensuring cohesive messaging development and execution of communications strategies and solutions across the company to business and trade media. The candidate should have experience in media, preferably broadcast or cable, be a strong writer, and adept at issues management, M&A, messaging and corporate reputation, financial communications, media relations and speechwriting.
1. Develop and implement communications around reputation management, public affairs and strategies across DCI’s corporate activities.
2. Support key corporate areas and activities, most notably domestic distribution, business development/M&A, social good, investor relations/quarterly earnings, and legal.
3. Develop and execute PR strategies, including media relations and oversee the company’s news flow and corporate social media
4. Create and update corporate messaging materials and overarching corporate narrative and talking points and presentations.
4. Elevate and maintain executive profiles across the industry in concert with Discovery’s brand strategy and key messages.
5. Create opportunities to extend the internal and external profiles of executives in line with both operational and company-wide strategies, through media placements, panels and awards.
6. Prepare executives for speaking engagements, industry conferences and high-level presentations, including development of scripts, speeches and talking points.
8. Develop deep understanding of Discovery’s business plans, our leaders, our competitors, and industry trends and proactively seek information internally and externally to support communications strategies.
9. Prepare for and manage crisis communications in collaboration with key stakeholders and support teams as needed.
* More than twelve years of communications experience in a high-growth environment is strongly preferred
* Experience working in corporate media, broadcast and/or cable television.
* Experience as company/organization spokesperson desired
* Must have established relationships with key media contacts and strong writing/scripting skills
* Ability to establish trust and confidence of executive management
* In-depth knowledge of media industry and related public policy issues strongly preferred
* Ability to make tough decisions and trouble-shoot with an eye toward anticipating, identifying and forming solutions to problems that may arise
* Keen understanding of brand and image protection efforts
* Ability to work collaboratively and in a positive manner with colleagues across business units
* Bachelor’s Degree required
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY