The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content distributed worldwide by Discovery Inc.’s television networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
We are seeking a bright and highly motivated individual to work with us in support of Discovery Studios, the internal production unit of Discovery Inc. The successful candidate will negotiate and draft contracts and provide a wide-range of production legal support and services, including handling clearances, releases, participant agreements and other related matters primarily for non-scripted television programming.
1. Draft and negotiate a variety of programming and production contracts, including production services, license, distribution, acquisition, development, and rights-related agreements (e.g., talent, location, access, photo, footage and music rights) under manager supervision.
2. Draft claim summaries, letters and administer title clearance process.
3. Review program cuts, provide ongoing business advice and advise on production legal matters, including defamation, privacy and related claims, and rights clearances.
4. Administer and thoroughly coordinate all business issues, contracts and delivery of programs.
5. Establish and maintain strong relationships with DCL’s networks and other business units, and DCL’s producers outside producer’s and talent.
6. Manage a high volume of projects and handle other production related projects, as assigned.
* Qualified candidates must be members of a state bar (California and/or New York Bar(s) strongly preferred)
* Minimum 2-3 years of in-depth negotiating experience with a production company, studio, television network or within the entertainment department of a major law firm.
* Legal writing, contract analysis, and negotiation skills required.
* Working knowledge of television business and general entertainment industry.
* Strong working knowledge of all types of production and programming deals.
* Must possess a curiosity and willingness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of areas of expertise.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, highly organized and able to work under tight timelines.
* Must be self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, exercise mature judgment, be solution oriented and offer a high level of customer service.
* Candidate must be able to handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to strict deadlines.
* Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Los Angeles, California, LA, CA