The Vice President of Business & Legal Affairs is responsible for managing business negotiations, and the drafting and negotiation of documentation, for a wide variety of programming and production transactions. In addition, this senior leadership role will provide advice and guidance on all production and legal issues for Discovery Studios.
1. Manage and supervise one or more business affairs lawyers and contract managers in connection with Discovery Studios’ production deals and activities.
2. Assume responsibility for project negotiations and preparation of and documentation for, acquiring television product and other rights on an acquisition, co-production and commission basis for Discovery Studios.
3. Advise and support senior executives, sales, ad sales, and other management personnel on key business issues and legal matters.
4. Negotiate all business terms, including back-end participation and ancillary deal components such as home video rights for programming arrangements.
5. Draft and/or review programming development and production, co-production and acquisition agreements.
6. Negotiate all business terms, including back-end participation and ancillary deal components.
7. Administer and thoroughly coordinate all business issues, legal contracts and delivery of programs.
8. Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights package within budgetary parameters.
9. Manage business practices in concert with network editorial/creative and production management.
10. Provide on-going business and legal advice to internal clients concerning production, broadcast clearance and other issues as needed.
* Eight to ten years progressive experience, with increasing levels of responsibility, negotiating transactions in the entertainment field, including broad and in-depth knowledge of television production and acquisition transactions.
* Undergraduate or graduate degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
* Experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of an entertainment company, preferably a cable or broadcast television network or production company.
* The ability to lead in the strategy, structure and negotiation of deals as well as to draft agreements once terms are negotiated.
* Creative, business-friendly approach to problem solving and the ability to provide high quality legal support in a fast-paced environment are vital.
* Previous Legal experience in the entertainment industry strongly preferred.
* Strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and Bar admission preferred. California Bar a plus.
* Must be self-motivated and deal-savvy with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make strong decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Lotus Notes, and other software applications are desirable.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Los Angeles, California, LA, CA