At Discovery, our mission is to serve passionate fans with products, platforms and experiences that inspire, inform and entertain through industry leading content and deeply trusted & beloved brands.
Discovery Digital Products is a fast-paced, innovative design, product and technology group that designs and builds industry leading products, platforms and experiences. What makes us unique from the rest of the burgeoning entertainment technology world is that we have award-winning content, work with a wide range of creators, and have the backing of a world leading Global Media Company.
As Sr. Director Design Operations, you will work closely with Design & Product leadership to define, manage, optimize, and communicate the day-to-day efficacy & efficiency of the Design & Product teams. You are an integral part of how we work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary user centered product environment with global scale. You will have hands-on experience as a Design, Product, or Project leader with a solid understanding of the fundamentals and practice of design and product design. In this role, you will work across multiple product design, cross-functional and marketing teams responsible for all products as part of our global multi-platform Product portfolios.
Your role as an Operational Design Leader drives product experiences that engage, delight and resonate with new and existing fans of Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, Science, ID, OWN and more. You will thrive in a customer focused, customer obsessed environment using research and data to design experiences people love. You will lead and motivate dedicated, cross-functional Agile teams by communicating roadmaps, defining stories, prioritizing, and coordinating regularly and clearly with partners and stakeholders.
At Discovery, we’re looking for leaders, innovators and creative problem solvers who are passionate about their work, and are driven to engage, entertain and delight the millions of users who visit our digital properties every day. If you want to work on the future of media alongside amazingly talented colleagues, then this is the place for you.
This role is a Full Time Staff Position that will work on-site in our offices at New York, NY and/or Los Angeles, CA.
1. Design and define onboarding product design documentation and best practices for teams.
2. Identify and connect similar use cases, flows, and experiences across product design teams.
3. Work across Product Design, Business & Marketing teams define global design solutions.
4. Create Design checklists for multiple platforms to be used by teams across Product Design
5. Define and communicate product design processes, standards, and best practices
6. Coordinate and communicate ongoing status for multiple Product Design & Creative Teams.
7. Manage executive, business and brand communication using JIRA and other Design Tools to continuously provide transparency for cross functional team members and stakeholders.
8. Champion evolving technologies and determine how to incorporate them into the operational Product Design and Creative workflows.
9. Work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers and Research to develop key metrics and create dashboards
10. Build relationships to align and influence across Business, Product, Technology and Marketing
11. Manage A/B testing process including hypothesis setting, OKR selection and goals, requirements gathering, test execution, measuring success, and share learnings
12. Demonstrate the highest standards - through clear direction to teams, stakeholders, & clients.
13. Inspire/mentor others on design teams and other creative teams within the organization.
* 7+ years of experience as Sr. Product or Design Leader, or Sr. Project Manager within a large-scale consumer facing organization, agency or multi-platform product company.
* 5+ years’ experience leading Design and Product Teams with connected product experiences.
* Degree in Business Administration, Product Design, Engineering and/or combined work experience with Design Management, Design Thinking and Agile development methodologies.
* Experience managing high performance teams of 10+ across multiple locations and skillsets.
* Deep knowledge and experience in Mobile, Living Room & Connected Product Environments
* Deep understanding of product design, user experience, information hierarchy, user-flows, composition, layout, color and typography
* Familiar with interaction design & best practices for prototyping and communicating concepts.
* Hands on experience with variety of user research techniques including user testing, personas, user tasks and scenarios, internal and external user interviews.
* Online portfolio demonstrating broad skills, versatile aesthetic, high-end customer facing experiences, with expertise in design principles, thinking and usability. Please provide a link and any appropriate PDF materials to view your digital samples.
* Hands on team player that can work easily with multiple stakeholders including Design, Product, Engineering, Data & Research, Project Management, Marketing, Business and Sales.
* Proven track record successfully creating and managing global products, platforms & services.
* Experience navigating large organizations, developing collaborative relationship and influencing across various partner groups.
* Technical fluency in areas including streaming data, data analytics, machine learning, and general software design and development
* Exceptional leadership skills, team building, management, & people development experience.
* Comfort operating in a fast-paced dynamic environment and managing change.
* Excellent oral and written skills, and able to present to small or large groups of people including Design, Marketing, Production, Product Teams, and Executive Stakeholders.
* Uncanny drive and passion to deliver the best experience for consumers and proven track record to deliver compelling, innovative and award-winning user and product experiences.
* Consumer Electronics, Entertainment & Lifestyle Product experience are a BIG PLUSSES.
* Strong history of success showcasing broad range of products and services are a MUST.
* Insanely fierce attention to detail.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY