As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the Service & Engineering Improvement Manager this position is critical in leading Monitoring as part of the Technology Operations Group. The Service Improvement Analyst is a self-starter willing to take the initiative. To succeed in this role the post-holder needs to be creative clever, passionate and love building new solutions.
Highlights of the role
This team support our two global Technology Operations Centers. As a function these are the 24/7 Command & Control Hub for all our all Distribution and IT support services. The position is key to ensuring organizational improvements, consistently improving and maintaining our availability and uptime, establish effective automation and monitoring to deliver successes and areas of opportunity.
To partner with engineering and workforce technology teams to advocate sensible, scalable systems design as well as building the best tools to diagnose, resolve and prevent issues.
This position may sit in either Sterling, Virginia or Knoxville, Tennessee.
1. Actively participate in daily change management meetings and activities – review communications plans, test plans, and communicate as necessary
2. Acts as a liaison between departmental end-users, technical analysts, information technology analysts, consultants and other organizations in the analysis, design, configuration, testing and maintenance of systems to ensure optimal operational performance
3. Develop and maintain documentation for the knowledge base
4. Plans, organizes and conducts business process re-engineering/improvement projects and/or management reviews
5. Assist in leading project to product/service/operations transition efforts
6. Participates in user acceptance testing and qa testing of new system functionality
7. Develops training curriculum and conducts formal training sessions
8. Assist in the deployment, organization, and management of standard operating procedures
9. Perform other duties as needed
* Bachelor’s degree in IT Management, Software or Broadcast Engineering, or equivalent work experience
* Broad IT domain experience in three or more of the following IT areas: Application Development, Enterprise Architecture, Project Management, Vendor Management, Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, and Maintenance and Support
* Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
* Strong organizational and conceptual skills combined with proven critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
* Ability to multi task within related functions
* Strong presentation and communication skills, ability to interface with internal and external groups
* Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
* Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
* Knowledge of local employment laws is beneficial.
* Must have the legal right to work in US
Sterling, Virginia, VA