As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the VP Technology Operations this position is critical in lead the Service & Improvement team as part of the Technology Operations Group. The post holder will lead a small team of Service Reliability, Monitoring, Automation and Date Reporting specialist who support an effective operations group. The Service & Engineering Improvement Manager is a self-starter willing to take the initiative. To succeed in this role the post-holder needs to be creative clever, passionate and love building and running teams.
Highlights of the role
This team support our two global Technology Operations Centers. As a function these are the 24/7 Command & Control Hub for all our all Distribution and IT support services. The position is key to ensuring organizational improvements, consistently improving and maintaining our availability and uptime, establish effective automation and monitoring to deliver successes and areas of opportunity.
To partner with engineering and workforce technology teams to advocate sensible, scalable systems design as well as building the best tools to diagnose, resolve and prevent issues. Although this is not necessarily a hands-on operations role, as an engineering leader, the Service & Engineering Improvement Manager is the the voice of Technology Operations, able to take part in technical discussions, challenging or supporting them as needed. The post holder is an ambassador for Service Reliability Engineering and good design within GT&O and so should be a great communicator and enthusiastic champion of Technology Operations.
This position is a member of the leadership team for Technology Operations and will guide the development of the team, and communicate the direction of the organization. The Postholder is expected to work regular office hours but during large events should expect to work outside of this including weekends and nights occasionally.
1. Collaborate with engineering and product teams to provide a path to live operations that support development objectives
2. Partner with relevant GT&O and Digital leadership teams on technology implementation Ensure impacts on the department are understood and that mechanisms in place to manage these impacts and ensure service continuity
3. Delivering overall path to live operations that form a standard platform into engineering and products teams
4. Track & implement corrective actions around achieving xx.xxx% availability
5. Collaborates with Architects and Engineers to improve the resilience of Discovery systems
6. Conduct formal operational readiness reviews of proposed engineering designs, controls, and test plans.
7. Drives continuous improvement to monitoring and tooling platforms used in Technology Operations
8. Ensures the delivery of real time and meaningful data and service reporting to support mature decision making
9. Exploits automation to optimise operational effectiveness. Develops sound business proposals cases to support the drive to data and automation.
10. Supports the centers through ensuring that event, incident, major incident, problem and knowledge management processes are working effectively. Identifies failings and delivers improvements in internal workflows and partners business stakeholders in their workflows that exploit technology
11. Leads root cause analysis reports and accountable for any remediation planning that results from lessons learnt. Perform incident analysis and provide recommendation, including pushing for delivery
12. Ensures that knowledge bases including the Known-Error Database are maintained by the team and are up to date
13. Ensure service levels and targets are adhered to and corrective measures in place to maintain performance targets
14. Maintains skills and career path framework for. Ensures these are in place for all staff
15. Motivate other teams through effective and proactive leadership techniques through stressful situations
16. Guide and mentor GT&O and user base in the event of service reliability and availability
17. framework for. Ensures these are in place for all staff
18. Lead and deliver small to mid-size projects or organisational change within operations centre scope
19. Responsible for implementing a team culture based on collaboration, best practices, standards, efficiency, and commitment to effective service delivery and responsiveness to the needs of the business
20. Ensures communications are accurate, timely and messages for multiple audiences
21. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key business leads and senior stakeholders within the customer base
22. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across all IT disciplines
23. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across GT&O
24. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with 3rd party suppliers and outsourced service partners
25. Deputises for VP Technology Operations as required
* Bachelor’s degree in IT Management, Software or Broadcast Engineering, or equivalent work experience
* 3+ years direct management experience in an IT, Broadcast or Digital Support function
* 10+ years’ experience in an Enterprise-level support environment. Experience in a service delivery environment and understanding of technical support processes and workflow. Breadth of experience by having a background in both operations and technology architecture, design, and development. Can demonstrate through experience the impact on operations the decisions made upstream in engineering and architecture
* Strong background in System Administration/architecture
* Strong background in Configuration and management of large scale platforms. (Virtualization, Cloud, Unix, Linux, Java, SQL, Oracle…)
* Demonstrable expertise in monitoring and logging of large scale platforms. (Solarwinds, Nagios, Splunk….)
* Proven experience of implementing change to enforce high availability on large scale platforms.
* Understanding of Agile/Scrum and deep understanding of Dev Ops Practice within a linear and digital environment
* Working knowledge of ITIL required. Foundation certification expected. Must be able to effectively communicate with owners of ITIL Disciplines (Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Configuration) to provide effective IT support to the end-users.
* Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
* Strong organizational and conceptual skills combined with proven critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
* Ability to multi task within related functions
* Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain staff
* Strong ability to demonstrate and execute professional communication skills to all levels of management
* Project management experience desired
* Ability to proactively communicate to senior leadership on areas of opportunity and a solutions oriented problem solver
* Positive attitude and experience with motivating a team
* Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
* Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
* Knowledge of local employment laws is beneficial.
* Must have the legal right to work in US
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
Sterling, Virginia, VA