The Global Data & Advanced Analytics team enables Discovery Inc to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports global company efforts to increase revenue, drive audiences, and enhance consumer engagement.
As part of a growing team that is innovating the way Discovery does business around the world, the Senior Data Scientist will be responsible for executing high impact data science projects to support our Ad Sales, Finance, Research, and Media business partners. These efforts will include optimization of revenue, viewership, engagement, retention, content value, and customer value for multiple media platforms. Specifically, you’ll be responsible for developing and operationalizing mathematical/statistical analyses, hypothesis tests, and algorithms/models. You’ll also be responsible for refining and executing operationalized algorithms and models.
You’ll need to be an innovative forward-thinker who will help lead end-to-end execution of data science projects
and contribute directly to existing and emerging business strategies and goals. Communication and ability to work in a collaborative team environment are essential.
You’ll work with the Data Science Sr. Manager, data & analytics team, data engineering team, and business stakeholders to develop, refine, and scale data products. Therefore, this role requires strong technical and communication skills, creativity and attention to detail, and experience executing data science projects from end-to-end – from use case definition to final product delivery.
1. Apply data mining techniques to cleanse and explore large, complex data sets in preparation for further analysis
2. Apply appropriate data reduction, feature selection, and feature engineering techniques
3. Develop and implement hypothesis tests
4. Develop, validate, and operationalize appropriate mathematical and statistical algorithms and models; including implementation on large data sets
5. Review, make enhancements to, and execute operationalized algorithms and models
6. Develop data products to communicate insights to internal stakeholders
7. Communicate insights from analyses to internal stakeholders in clear business terms
8. Assist in making data science techniques approachable and understandable to non-data scientists
9. Collaborate with data & technology teams to create repeatable processes and scalable data products
10. Identify appropriate data science solutions as new data-centric business problems arise
11. Stay current with new data science methods, technologies, and industry trends
12. Support Data Science Sr. Manager in developing and implementing data science processes and best practices
* Master’s or PhD degree in a quantitative field (statistics, physics, computer science, etc.)
* Minimum of 3-5 years proven business experience and technical expertise in data science
* Experience cleansing and preparing large, complex datasets for analysis
* Expertise applying statistics or machine learning in a professional or other intensive problem-solving environment with large, complex datasets
* Experience with hypothesis testing, clustering, regression & classification, time series analysis, & optimization
* Expertise in statistical programming languages such as R or the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, etc.)
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (RedShift, S3, EC2, EMR, etc.) and Apache Spark preferred
* Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
* Familiarity with data visualization tools, like Tableau
* Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
* Excellent communication skills -- ability to present complex information in a concise and compelling manner
* Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
* Prior media or direct-to-consumer industry experience preferred
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York City, New York, NYC, NY