As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the VP Technology Operations (UK), this position will help develop the strategic vision for the 24/7 Technology Operations Centre organizational unit. This position will oversee the delivery and support of IT Event, Incident and Request Management processes at Discovery ensure a culture of excellence and consistent service and supporting Discovery’s best in class distribution and infrastructure.
Highlights of the role
Utilizing strong cross-functional alignment, this position will be responsible for designing and implementing a unified “virtual” organization that will consist of members from multiple disciplines (Distribution Operations Network Operations, Enterprise Platform Operations, Digital Platform Support Operations and Security Operations) to form a dynamic technology focused team capable of providing service at multiple levels to drive results and shape the reputation of GT&O as a responsive organization.
Organizational scope of Technology Operations staff within either our London or Sterling, VA centers – circa 60 staff based in 2 locations supporting 50 offices and productions centers globally, each led be an Operations Center Director.
The successful candidate in this role will develop and implement cost effective strategies and plans that help provide reliable services to our global offices. The position must develop process and organizational improvements, consistently maintain and improve our customer feedback system, and establish effective performance measurements to show successes and areas of opportunity.
This position is a mission critical function in leading GT&O’s global Technology Operations Centers. It provides strategic direction to Technology Operations staff providing Tier 1 and 2 support services. The centers are the point of contact and owners for an IT Major Incident Incidents and as Operations Center Director are the owner of the IT Major Incident process and procedures for Global Technology & Operations and the department’s recovery plans. The centers are also the focal point of contact for an IT response in the event of an organization wide Major Incident.
This position is a member of the senior leadership team for IT Support & Infrastructure Services and will guide the development of the team, and set and communicate the strategic direction of the organization.
1. Primary Technology Operations support leadership for one of two centers, owning real-time Tier 1 and Tier 2 responses to active requests and incidents where needed. Create a “virtual” center operation, to ensure the organization is properly staffed 24/7 across the two sites
2. Create and lead an integrated technology support organization based on collaboration, best practices, standards, efficiency, and commitment to effective service delivery and responsiveness to the needs of the business
3. Budget Management for local cost operating and capital cost center, accurately planning for and forecasting operational spend. Partners with Engineering to forecast capital spend.
4. Drives continuous improvement to key metrics through process, system, and organizational refinements
5. Responsible for development of effective event, incident, major incident and problem management processes. Ensures mechanisms are in place that these are adhered too.
6. Acts as major incident lead when required. Is a focal point of communication to GTO and Digital leadership during a major incident
7. Responsible for an effective maintenance and back up regime across systems and infrastructure
8. Defines KPI and service metrics framework. Ensure reporting cycles are adhered to and corrective measures in place to maintain performance targets
9. Define skills and career path framework for centre staff. Ensures these are in place for all staff
10. Lead and deliver small to mid-size projects or organisational change within operations centre scope
11. Partner with relevant GT&O and Digital leadership teams on technology implementation. Ensure impacts on the department are understood and that mechanisms in place to manage these impacts and ensure service continuity
12. Partner with GT&O & Digital Sports and Olympics teams on for Sport Events and Olympic Games. Ensures center support operations are developed to meet the production needs
13. Responsible for developing effective business continuity and disaster recovery plans for Create and lead an integrated technology support organization based on collaboration, best practices, standards, efficiency, and commitment to effective service delivery and responsiveness to the needs of the business
14. Ensure that all compliance and regulatory requirements, including SOX., are met utilizing documented solutions and ongoing remediation and control processes
15. Develop and maintain Business Continuity for services in Technology Operations. Ensures plans are fully understood by staff and a regular rehearsal regime is in place.
16. Deputises for VP Technology Operations as required
17. Hours are primarily office hours but may he required to cover an Operations Manager shift e.g. during unplanned absence or during a major event such as Olympics
18. Any other responsibilities as requested.
* Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, IT Management, or equivalent work experience
* 10+ years direct management experience in the IT or Broadcast Support function
* 5+ years’ experience in an Enterprise-level support environment. Experience in a service delivery environment and understanding of technical support processes and workflow
* Working knowledge of ITIL required. Foundation certification expected. Must be able to effectively communicate with owners of ITIL Disciplines (Incident, Problem, Change, Release, and Configuration) to provide effective IT support to the end-users.
* Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and customer service skills
* Strong organizational and conceptual skills
* Ability to multi task within related functions
* Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain staff
* Strong ability to demonstrate and execute professional communication skills to all levels of management
* Project management experience desired
* Strong critical thinking, analytic, problem solving, and decision-making abilities
* Ability to proactively communicate to senior leadership on areas of opportunity and a solutions oriented problem solver.
* Positive attitude and experience with motivating a team
* Ability to maintain focus in a high-pressure environment
* Able to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility, including flexibility in working hours to support employees and customers across multiple time zones.
* Experience in leading multiple IT support teams in multiple/global locations
* Experience of working for a Media Company/Broadcast is desirable but not essential
* Knowledge of European employment laws is beneficial.
* Must have the legal right to work in Europe.
Sterling, Virginia, VA