The Media Strategy & Analytics (MSA) team manages the strategy, planning, execution, and analysis of all paid & owned media vehicles with the goal of driving multiplatform viewership across TV, digital and direct-to-consumer products for all of Discovery, Inc.’s 17 networks (including Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Food Network, ID, OWN, Travel, Animal Planet, Science, Velocity, etc.).
This role is a critical position within the MSA department, specifically within the Retention Strategy pod. The Director leads the relationship with marketing, research, creative, programming, sales, broadcast operations and all other internal entities relating to media/marketing and partnerships for 3 or more networks within the Discovery portfolio.
S/he will be responsible for developing media plans that are strategic and data-driven, with the goal of effectively increasing time spent viewing and frequency of viewing across consumers who watch the various Discovery networks on all devices. Responsibilities will include developing strategic media campaigns across TV, VOD and TV Everywhere (apps) with special emphasis on data driven planning and post analyses.
Equally critical to the role is that of coach to a team of 3+ direct reports that will likely include managers, strategists and coordinators. S/he is expected to guide, grow and develop direct reports with a keen eye on soft skills in order to build an effective team that is respected throughout the organization.
1. Act as a strategic thought leader who is constantly looking for new ways to advance the sophistication of media campaigns to drive time spent viewing and frequency of viewing across all platforms in the most effective and efficient way possible.
2. Build the media approach and strategic direction for all assigned network initiatives, working with the Managers, Strategists, and Coordinators to define target audiences, and create plans designed to maximize efficiencies/effectiveness.
3. Ensure an understanding of our network partners’ respective businesses (i.e. ratings, streaming and viewership trends, revenue strategy etc.) to define tangible and measurable goals for all campaigns.
4. Focus on post reporting that uncovers the “why” behind performance in order to garner learnings that are tangible and actionable.
5. Work closely with partners in the Acquisition and Media Sciences pods of MSA to ensure plans and analyses are cohesive, comprehensive and digestible.
6. Manage and grow direct report(s) - Media Manager(s), Media Strategist(s), and Media Coordinator(s). Seamless team management, communication, and task prioritization while meeting the expectations of internal partners.
* Minimum 8 years of media strategy, planning and executions experience either within a network and/or agency setting.
* 3-5 years experience managing teams
* Self-starter, highly motivated, strong delegator, positive demeanor, excellent communicator, and juggle multiple assignments simultaneously.
* Polished with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Experience with collaborative strategic planning, and performance management where giving feedback is the norm.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Strategic with a comfort in dealing with numbers/analysis and reporting.
* Willingness and flexibility to “pitch in” with various ad-hoc projects to help support the larger team.
* Ability to adapt to change and continually evolve skills to meet the everchanging needs of the television industry.
* Understanding of TV Everywhere and the television ecosystem is a plus.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office systems, specifically in Excel and PowerPoint.
* College degree required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY