Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Kids, Discovery Channel, Discovery Home and Health, Discovery Turbo, ID, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network and seeks a smart, highly motivated individual to join the high volume, fast-paced Business and Legal Affairs Department servicing the Latin America Territory. This individual will report into the Vice President Legal and Business Affairs handling television program acquisitions, production, and other related matters.
The Director Business & Legal Affairs is responsible for handling deal negotiations, draf and review agreements for acquisitions, productions, co-productions, formats, above-the-line agreements, for documentary, non-scripted reality, children’s live action and animated, and other programming across Discovery’s networks in Latin America including Brazil. The Director will have strong commercial skills as well as legal skills in order to represent and negotiate deal terms for content production and acquisitions. The Director is responsible for handling deals from requests from internal clients, through negotiating all business and legal terms, through execution with vendors including major studios globally.
1. Assume responsibility for project/deal negotiations and preparation of documentation for developing, producing, financing, and/or acquiring television programming for Discovery’s networks.
2. Independently draft, review and negotiate development, commission, co-production, acquisition, music and other various types of agreements using and adapting Discovery’s contract forms to local regulation.
3. Advise and support senior network executives and Discovery internal business units including sourcing, ad sales, online/digital, production management, marketing, consumer products/licensing, and others ongoing business issues and legal matters including, copyright, trademark, fair use, rights of publicity, music, advertising and other related issues.
4. Act as a business liaison between the Discovery’s executives and the creative community (i.e., studios, production companies, and talent agencies).
5. Prepare offers and proposals to external clients in consultation with all appropriate internal business and creative units.
6. Negotiate and draft all terms of a variety of talent deals including, but not limited to, series deals, pilot-to-series deals, test option deals, holding deals, ad sales talent integration deals, licensing deals, event releases, and overall services agreements with business and legal terms including exploitation and promotional rights, exclusivity, options, back-end participation, endorsement services, and all other applicable talent deal terms customary to the entertainment industry.
* Experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of an entertainment company. Preferably a cable or broadcast television network, studio, or commensurate transactional experience in the entertainment division of a law firm.
* Must have strong business acumen and knowledge of commercial terms, prices and rates, etc. for acquisitions of children’s content.
* Strong academic credentials from an accredited law school.
* Excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Fluent in English, with strong language skills in Spanish and Portuguese preferred.
* Creative, business-friendly approach to problem solving and the ability to provide high-quality legal support in a fast-paced environment are vital.
* Knowledge of television agreements and talent agreements and/or cable industry required.
* Extensive knowledge of television/SVOD transactions including network licensing, development and talent deals, rights/chain-of-title, production costs, and contingent compensation structures.
* Existing strong relationships within the TV/new media industry, including entertainment attorneys, studios, production houses, talent agents a plus.
* Advanced drafting skills coupled with the ability to interpret and convey the terms of complex co-production, licensing, and talent agreements, etc. to non-legal internal departments.
* Highly organized and detail oriented without losing focus on business objectives.
* Collaborative team player with a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
* Experience managing and supervising direct reports.
* Applicants must be industrious and self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, manage projects, and offer a high level of customer service in a fast-paced environment.
* Excellent business and legal judgment.
* Excellent people skills and ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with internal and external partners.
* Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications are desirable.
* Must be willing to relocate to Miami, Florida.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Miami, Florida, MIA, FL