As Discovery’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Senior Data Services Engineer will join the Data Services team for the Media and Content Distribution Systems group located in Knoxville, TN, which is responsible for developing and maintaining systems for managing Discovery’s rich media libraries. Data Services is a shared services team that works with multiple business groups across the enterprise to provide solutions in data architecture, integration, visualization and analytics. As a part of this group, qualified candidates will be expected to have a healthy understanding of multiple database technologies, and will have proven experience in designing and deploying both logical and physical models in these platforms. This role will participate in the development of data integration solutions across heterogenous platforms and must have strong data analysis skills and the ability to provide both thought and technical leadership amongst peers and team members from various backgrounds and domains. Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) are a must. This individual must also be results oriented with the ability to deliver on large scale projects successfully and on time.
1. Hands-on experience in every facet of the Data Management life cycle (design, development, implementation, support)
2. Promote data modeling best practices by working closely with application development teams to deliver solutions that meet business needs as well as scale for future growth
3. Responsible for the design and development of data integration processes to support data migrations, application integrations, and reporting initiatives
4. Ability to navigate and operate within the AWS cloud infrastructure
5. Complete understanding of Oracle architecture, tuning, and indexing
6. Experience deconstructing and analysing data models from various database platforms
7. Experience sourcing and integrating data from various platforms (relational, NoSQL, graph, etc.)
8. Ability to design patterns and structures within semi-structured or unstructured data
9. Experience working in an environment that employs agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
10. Perform advanced tuning of data workflows for optimal performance
11. Experience in the design and development of data warehouse and operational data stores to support operational and analytical reports
12. Working knowledge of real-time integration patterns and services
13. Work with business and technical resources to employ data quality best practices and solutions
14. Perform peer reviews and execute test plans as needed/required
* 10+ years experience developing in Informatica PowerCenter.
* Experience developing on Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server, and graph database platforms.
* 3+ years developing and deploying data integration solutions on AWS infrastructure.
* 8+ years experience developing and refactoring shell scripts on LINUX platforms.
* 8+ years developing real-time data integration solutions using SOAP and Restful web service interfaces.
* 10+ years developing SQL and PL/SQL code (pipeline functions, cursors, etc.).
* 5+ years of Python development.
* 5+ years working in an environment that employs agile development methodologies (scrum, kanban, etc.)
* 8+ years of developing logical and physical data models in industry standard tools (Erwin, ER/Studio, etc.).
* Deep understanding of Business Objects and Tableau reporting tools.
* Strong thought leadership capable of influencing the direction of the organization while maintaining a culture where associates are recognized as important assets to the company.
* Driven and self-motivated team player with a results oriented mindset.
* Extraordinary time management, planning and organizational skills.
* Ability to successfully work under tight project deadlines.
* Well organized and effective communicator who can interact with and speak to groups of all sizes and levels of management.
* Must be willing to travel as required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN