An exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader has been created with Discovery to lead our Global Infrastructure and Cloud Engineering functions. The role will be responsible for engineering and architecture of all infrastructure technology supporting our global enterprise services (public cloud as well as on-premises technology). In addition, the leader will focus on solutions delivery and enablement for our business in the Americas, publication of cloud technology standards globally, and be a key member of the senior management team of the Global Infrastructure and Support Services organization.
The Discovery landscape is broad and dynamic, with client groups ranging from internal enterprise application teams, broadcast technology team, as well as consumer product and app teams. The candidate must, first and foremost, be an agile thinker and effectively partner with senior business leaders to ensure technology solutions are aligned with market strategies. Discovery is aggressively adopting new technologies in our business whether it be leveraging cloud, automation of process via traditional engineering or AI techniques, or devising new and innovative ways to distribute our content. This role is a key leader and voice of that innovation and change and must have a proven track record of innovation.
The role is primarily collaborative and centred on clear communication of strategy to the business including senior levels of the organization, requiring alignment and cooperation with peer roles responsible for EMEA and Sport respectively. The successful candidate will be able to build and nurture these relationships, ensuring Discovery is aligned to global standards to maximize our efficiencies and leverage economies of scale – while also driving local innovation where opportunity is present.
Technology providers and partners are integral to our success, the candidate must excel at strategic vendor negotiation and management, with multiple large and multi-year partnerships within the budget scope of the role (public cloud providers, CDN, enterprise CI/CD toolsets).
The position is based in either Knoxville, TN or Sterling, VA. A moderate amount of travel is expected in the role with team members based in Knoxville and the Sterling technology hub and key stakeholder groups additionally in New York, London and Paris.
1. Primary business interface to Americas-based Senior Management team as it relates to IT Infrastructure, Cloud and Network Engineering. Communication “face” of the Infrastructure & IT Support Services function in Americas.
2. Global responsibility for IT on-premises Infrastructure and Cloud Infrastructure technology roadmap, standards and architecture, ensuring technology stability and resiliency of requirements are met and proposing innovative solutions to enable business growth and competitive differentiation.
3. Negotiation and planning strategic public cloud, on-premises hardware/software and network carrier agreements. Ensuring our partners are held accountable for performance and pursuing optimized costs for solutions at all times.
4. Direct budget responsibility for global spend related to IT and Cloud Engineering (OpEx and CapEx)
5. Oversee the publication of policies, standards, roadmaps, SMT briefings and decks as needed to communicate strategy
6. While overseeing an engineering organization, there is an expectation of availability for operational escalation as needed depending on the severity of ongoing production related outage or issue.
7. Other duties as required.
* BA/BS in IT, Engineering or similar technical degree or equivalent industry experience
* 10 Years+ experience in a large,multi-national/global media & entertainment organization
* Experience working in engineering organizations focused on consumer product and application development. Experience working in DevOps/Agile shop a must.
* Experience and track record of excellence with strategic vendor negotiations and contract execution
* Excellent communication skills in an SMT/Board level setting
* Multi-million dollar operating and capital budget planning and a track record of an ability to accurately budget and forecast.
* Must thrive in a highly-matrixed, dynamic organization where priorities and responsibilities will continue to be fluid and ever-changing. Collaborative nature and a “one team” mentality are critical for success.
* Expert level exposure to technology landscape and vendor/service provider landscape related to public cloud (IaaS, PaaS and FaaS services) as well as traditional IT technologies (Network, Storage, Server)
* Experience managing an IT Engineering (data center, server, cloud, network) function either at a line manager or senior level.
* Experience with organization change management and culture to navigate through complex change moments while keeping a team aligned.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* An understanding of the production process and requirements of a sports production team
* Knowledge of workflows and processes in OTT platforms linear and non linear.
* Knowledge or training in project management, and project management tools.
* Background in software development or skills as a developer at any level.
* A familiarity with current and relevant health and safety regulations and training pertinent to the broadcast environment.
* Fluency in a European language would be an advantage
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN