Discovery, Inc. is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media and retail products. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go together with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery is seeking an attorney to join the team responsible for the day-to-day management of Discovery’s US commercial contracts. Focus of the role will be drafting and negotiating contracts for, and providing legal guidance to, Discovery’s Advertising Sales and Marketing departments as well as several other corporate services groups. Candidates must possess superior oral and written communications skills and be able to work collaboratively with clients and other attorneys in a team environment.
1. Negotiate, draft and interpret various commercial agreements and other legal documents relating to advertising sales and integrations, marketing partnerships, event/venue arrangements, real estate, research and technology services (including master services agreements and statements of work).
2. Review and analyze marketing materials and provide advice and counsel to various business units across the company regarding marketing, advertising, and other consumer regulatory issues.
3. Provide legal services and advice as it relates to sweepstakes and contests, including preparing sweepstakes and contest rules, reviewing marketing copy and providing disclaimers and notice provisions.
4. Coordinate with other legal team members regarding data privacy/security issues in various agreements.
5. Coordinate with Information Security and Enterprise Risk Management on data security issues, vendor risk assessments, and related contract negotiations.
6. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all business clients and other related personnel (e.g., advertisers, agencies, technology vendors) for the benefit of the company.
7. Interpret and provide advice to clients, including senior management, regarding the company’s rights, obligations, restrictions, and all other contractual provisions and financial aspects of the company’s commercial contracts.
8. Create NDAs, amendments, side letters, breach letters, termination agreements.
9. Manage and monitor agreements negotiated by outside counsel and weigh in on business risks.
10. Remain current on developments in the industry and technology to maintain efficiency in performance.
11. Maintain visibility in the industry by regularly interacting with peers in similar positions at other companies and keeping abreast of industry changes.
What you need to have
* JD and active member of at least one US state bar, in good standing.
* Minimum of 1-2 years of top law firm experience with commercial transactions, including contract negotiations and drafting.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
It’s a plus if you have
* Previous cable/media industry experience preferred.
* Knowledge in legal areas related to advertising, marketing, technology and/or sweepstakes law.
* Ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly in a high-pressure, customer service driven environment.
* Strong work ethic combined with a cooperative and collaborative team-oriented attitude.
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish productive relationships externally and internally at all levels in the organization.
* Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
* High attention to detail and ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
* Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including Outlook and Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY