***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available in approximately half of all U.S. schools, half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in more than 50 countries around the world.
The Director of Contracting is responsible for preparing, examining, negotiating and revising contracts as well as completing customer compliance forms for the purchase of Discovery Education products and services. The Director of Contracting will also play a role in Discovery Education’s contracting for direct services. Serving as a key liaison between the Contracting team and business unit leads on both revenue generating and service contracts, this person will plan an important and visible role helping Discovery Education achieve its business objectives.
1. Help redesign and streamline DE’s contracting process, including assisting DE Legal leads and the Senior Director of Operations with process and software recommendations.
2. Oversee the preparation and revision of contracts, amendments and other required documents working closely with the sales, renewals, operations and legal teams as appropriate.
3. Responsible for all compliance related forms processing.
4. Negotiate terms and conditions with partners as directed and in collaboration with legal team.
5. Expedite and manage the non-standard contract review process both internally and externally with partners to ensure that all non-standard agreement terms are finalized with the partner and approved by legal in a timely manner.
6. Keep internal teams apprised of contract status.
7. Assist with various functions related to RFPs responses including but not limited to researching school board policies, relevant state statutes and privacy laws as needed.
8. Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to resolve outstanding contract issues.
9. Thoroughly understand all sales guidelines, operational processes and company policies.
10. Effectively manage a team of contract generators.
* Minimum of 4 years of corporate or government contracting experience, preferably as part of a large corporation’s procurement team, in-house legal department, at a large law firm, or as part of a large school district’s procurement office.
* Experience with and knowledge of the education technology industry or government contracting & RFP processes preferred.
* Excellent writing, organizational, and attention to detail skills.
* Experience with SalesForce, CPQ, Aptus, and/or other contracting and CLM tools.
* Familiarity with back-end technologies and a working technical knowledge to communicate with development teams.
* Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with internal and external partners.
* A demonstrated history of problem solving and a solution-oriented approach to work.
* Ability to work well under pressure and a curiosity to seek out new challenges and problems to solve.
* Ability to handle high volume of work and multi-task a variety of assignments, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines. Successful experience managing large projects and teams.
* Ability to function on an independent basis, with moderate supervision.
* Excellent computer skills a must (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and CRM systems including Salesforce).
* Bachelors’ degree required. JD or Master’s preferred.
* Experience with volume ordering online a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Charlotte, North Carolina, NC, Silver Spring, Maryland, MD