Discovery Digital Ventures is a tech start-up within the Discovery Organization. It is the core team for developing new, innovative and immersive digital content experiences globally. Both for our existing iconic brands, including MotorTrend and Eurosport as well as emerging brands such as Discovery Kids.
As content creators in the digital space, we’re building on the Discovery legacy by using technology to evolve the viewing experience… telling better, more immersive and engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day.
About the Opportunity
The Head of UX and Design for Discovery Digital Media is a premiere role and gives you access to some of the world’s most well-known brands. It offers the excitement of building a new business but with the backing of Discovery’s well-funded iconic legacy business.
In addition, our technology is second to none and rivals any Silicon Valley shop. We have a truly talented and fun team, who are passionate about our mission and their role in building on the Discovery experience.
If what gets you out of bed in the morning is creating a vision for the future, with a fun, passionate team then this might be the role for you.
We’re looking for a Head of UX and Design who is truly innovative.
Someone with a holistic approach, able to create experiences that excite, engage and keep the audience, while seamlessly incorporating the commercial functionality of the products. You have a relentless desire to build a multiplatform app that connects and entertains millions of users worldwide.
So, if you have a strong track record for bringing together design, technology and strategy, then we would love to talk to you!
1. In collaboration with business leaders understand and clearly communicate business needs, technology capabilities, viewer expectations and competitive activities to all networks’ units
2. Be the organization’s North Star by creating a well-articulated vision of our User experience strategy with a roadmap that exceeds viewer expectations and meets financial goals, then marshal the resources to make it happen
3. Lead and mentor a team of designers and product managers, while rolling up your sleeves to directly contribute to the day-to-day improvements that make our products better meet viewer and business needs
4. Drive matrixed teams with strong influence and collaboration skills through the ideation, planning, design, development and continuous improvement of high quality user experiences
5. Gather requirements from all stakeholders to generate roadmaps, financial analysis, funnel designs, user journeys and prioritized epics to support high velocity product delivery
6. Generate style guides, information architectures, wire frames, prototypes, beautiful comps and other artifacts
7. In collaboration with producers create art to populate the user interfaces with stunning imagery that makes the viewers want to watch
8. Ensure the integrity of the ideas are preserved through the delivery and go to market processes
9. Foster a culture of data driven product and design decisions through continuous experimentation
* Extensive experience creating direct to consumer digital products that created positive business results (experience with paid digital media and entertainment products preferred)
* Proven experience of managing a high performing team; ability to attract, retain and develop top talent
* Track record of leadership through influence and collaboration in a highly matrixed organization to gain buy-in from stakeholders across all levels of an organization
* Communication and interpersonal skills that enable highly productive interactions with business, creative and technical teams
* Hands-on approach, with a strong influencing ability, a proven driver and change agent in an organization
* Proven track record understanding how users think and behave
* Portfolio of work that demonstrates experience with immersive interactive design across mobile, computer and living room devices
* Experience translating product and technical advantages into marketing differentiators, vice versa
* Proficiency in supporting decisions using data analytics
* Proficiency in design best practices and tools / automation that enables them
* Experience working with Apple, Google, Amazon, Roku and other device manufacturers preferred
* Working knowledge of relevant application and platform technologies delivered via Agile with Devops processes
* Entrepreneurial skills with demonstrated successes in transformational or high-growth organizations
* Ability to be effective despite ambiguity and competing objectives, in a fast-paced environment
* Bachelors degree required (MBA desirable but not essential)
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Los Angeles, California, LA, CA