The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all business and legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery’s television networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisitions, commissions, co-productions and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances. The department supports a fast paces and nimble client group.
Discovery seeks a bright, experienced, and highly motivated and client-focused individual to provide administrative support to three/four attorney(s)/paralegal(s)/business executive(s) in the business and legal affairs department of a high volume, fast-paced in-house Business & Legal Affairs environment.
1. Provide legal administrative support to attorney(s)/paralegal(s) handling contract drafting, transactional, production, litigation and other entertainment business and legal matters
2. Generate contracts from standard forms and track contracts at various stages of production/execution
3. Administer contracts and oversee process of contract execution
4. Proofread, edit, compare and redline documents and effectively navigate and operate within various computer databases relating to areas of responsibility
5. Handle inquiries from internal and external contacts and draft related correspondence
6. Provide general office support (e.g., maintain and organize files, fax, photocopy, schedule routine and ad hoc meetings, maintain supervisors’ calendars, answer telephones, log and place calls, order supplies, arrange travel itineraries, prepare expense reports and oversee submission of outside counsel bills and other invoices for payment)
7. Interact with Discovery business units, including senior and executive Discovery personnel, as well as external business contacts and other third parties
8. Collaborate with department managerial and administrative staff in the development of processes and procedures to increase department productivity
9. Work with and maintain confidential information
10. Perform other related administrative tasks as requested by supervisor(s)
* Preferred candidate will have a minimum of 5 years legal administrative experience at a law firm, a corporate in house legal department, or in the business and legal affairs department of a television production or broadcast company.
* Must demonstrate a positive attitude, strong interpersonal and written/oral communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with internal and external contacts
* Display a great deal of initiative and the ability to work well under pressure and independently, in a deadline-driven, detail-oriented environment while maintaining high standards of accuracy, composure and professionalism at all times
* Must have the ability to work with and maintain confidential information
* Flexibility in accepting new and changing responsibilities, as well as strong personal initiative and resourcefulness; taking ownership of and accountability of responsibilities
* Strong analytical skills
* Must have very strong computer skills, including a mastery of Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word processing tools), and ability to navigate in web-based database environments
* Ability to identify, prioritize, and manage important administrative issues, multi-task and effectively prioritize work assignments in addition to handling changing priorities
* BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the US
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD