Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Specialist- Backend Royalty Accounting in Knoxville, TN to join our Global Business Services ("GBS") team.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
The Specialist – Revenue Compliance will be responsible for a portfolio of licensing agreements. The Specialist- Revenue Compliance will proactively review and track licensing and other agreements. The Specialist will work closely with the Commerce teams to understand each of the contracts and keep the business owners aware of compliance issues. The Specialist will also support the Manager responsible for the Compliance and Accounting teams, ensuring that the Manager is aware of new contracts and their contractual implications.
1. Review, Analyze and interpret licensing contracts and amendments for Merchandise, Home Video, Education, Program Sales and other miscellaneous licensing contracts globally to ensure compliance with contract terms by Discovery and the licensing partner.
2. Advise sales teams and legal departments during contract negotiations for new sales.
3. Maintain and awareness of guidance on compliance feasibility as new contract terms are drafted and liaise with Accounting as needed to clarify revenue recognition impact.
4. Monitor contract terms to ensure payment schedules are adhered to, for licensing contracts.
5. Analyze licensing statements to ensure reported sales and territories are covered in the contract and immediately report contract violations to sales teams.
6. Work closely with Accounting and provide actionable information as it relates to revenue, and new/changes in contract terms which could have a backend calculation or other financial impact.
7. Provide excellent customer service to internal business partner and external customers.
8. Proactively pursue development opportunities.
9. Collaborate with the team to identify process improvements and efficiencies in areas of the Compliance department.
10. Maintain strict confidentiality of the contractual arrangements between Discovery and its partners.
11. Perform other special projects as required
What you need to have:
* Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in finance or accounting or equivalent experience required.
* Minimum of 2 years work experience in either a Compliance, Legal or Accounting department
* Proven experience in contract interpretation; experience with Royalty and Licensing contracts is desired.
* Previous experience in the entertainment industry preferred
* Effective writing and verbal communication skills; required to communicate authoritatively with all levels of Discovery personnel as well as external customers
* Strong analytical and business skills including the ability to grasp the “big picture” while also maintaining a strong detail orientation
* Intermediate proficiency in Excel required and experience with building databases (ie Access) is highly desired
* SAP experience a plus
* Candidate should have a general understanding of accounting principles.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
It’s a plus if you have:
* Proficiency of SAP
* Experience in creating financial and other data models
tennessee, tn, knoxville