The Corporate Finance team is the nexus where Discovery Communications’ financial storyline, influential analyses and financial decision-making come together. The team is responsible for both the consolidation and reporting of the company’s current year forecasted financials as well as the long term financial projections. By managing and coordinating Budgeting, Forecasting, Strategic Planning, Management Reporting, Financial Analysis, Capital Planning and Cash Flow forecasting across the company, Corporate FP&A drives improved decision-making for finance leadership and DCI senior management with the goal of maximizing shareholder value. The team focuses on highlighting and synthesizing information, key performance indicators and operating metrics so that senior management can have a better understanding of the economics of the business and improve the quality and speed of decision-making. The Corporate Finance group strives to continuously improve global Finance activities and grow talent across finance and operations.
The financial analyst will directly support the Corporate group with a focus on financial planning, analysis, business performance measurement and metrics. Corporate Finance is responsible for managing the Corporate segment (CORP), which covers critical functional groups such as Finance, Accounting, Legal and HR, among others. This analyst position will help the Team deliver a robust budget / forecast that drives and improves business planning, capital investment, decision making and cost management. Furthermore, the role will help provide insightful, thoughtful, value-added financial analysis and maximize shareholder value.
This position will assist on analytical assignments and requires outstanding organization, collaboration, and communication skills. Candidate's ability to work independently and part of a team is essential.
The successful candidate will have a proven record in Finance. The candidate will be ambitious with excellent interpersonal skills, a strong customer service focus and be a team player working across a range of cultures, levels and functions.
This position can be located in NYC or Knoxville, Tennessee.
1. Help team deliver annual budget, forecast and long-range plan on time with robust, accurate information to support Budget Managers throughout the process
2. Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reporting activities, including monthly forecast and reporting packs
3. Monitor monthly and quarterly performance through management reporting by identifying trends and analyzing variances.
4. Improve quality of budgeting, plan-to-actual variance analysis/commentary, and forecasting
5. Work with budget managers in identifying risks and opportunities by monitoring trends and analyzing variances in our management reporting.
6. Provide issue analysis and resolution that requires critical thinking and thorough knowledge of financial impacts.
7. Navigate the regional department heads and budget managers through the accounting and finance functions to ensure proper coding and accounting treatment.
8. Support Accounting to make certain monthly results are accurate
9. Work on special projects as required; Analysis must provide a clear understanding of drivers of complexity and differentiation; Complete deliverables within assigned timelines
10. Liaise with budget owners and address ad hoc requests, as needed
11. Problem solve issues as they arise
12. Master DCI's suite of tools and systems (e.g., SAP, EPM/BPC, Excel, PowerPoint) and be able to develop meaningful analyses to help management make decisions.
* BS in Finance, Accounting, Economics or a related field. Equivalent combination of skills, training and experience may be substituted.
* 1-3 years of relevant financial analysis, business planning or accounting experience. Strong analytical and quantitative skills that goes beyond just working with numbers - ability to know how to problem solve, suggest solutions and how to show / communicate the data to less detailed audiences.
* Self-starter suited to think about and express complex financial data in a less detailed / summary fashion to executives or non-financial personnel.
* Experience with working with and manipulating large data sets - ability to scrub, synthesize and summarize into decision making outputs. Ability to decipher complex situations.
* Strong problem solving and project management skills, with the ability to proactively manage a variety of projects and stringent timelines (fast-paced environment).
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including ability to communicate financial concepts to non-financial people.
* High attention to detail. High quality, consistent deliverables.
* Strong proficiency Excel and PowerPoint. Ability to create reports and summaries in Excel using including but not limited to pivot tables, formulas, named ranges and vlookups. Comfort with macros a plus.
* Knowledge of SAP/BPC a plus.
* Media background or experience preferable.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY, tennessee, tn, knoxville