Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Director- Revenue Accounting in Knoxville, TN to join our Global Business Services (“GBS”) team.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
The Director, Revenue Accounting will be responsible for directing and managing the Company’s Revenue close process and technical matters. The position requires a CPA, strong knowledge of US GAAP revenue accounting rules and proven Operational experience. The Director will establish and maintain accounting policies and controls, fiscal controls, prepare financial reports and safeguard the organization's assets. Maintains accounting and financial records and reports, including general ledger, financial statements, regulatory and management reports.
1. Supervise Revenue Accounting team, review work product and ensure the quality of the work
2. Oversee revenue and AR related ledger accounts, reconciliations and month end close processes
3. Responsible for oversight of ASC 606 controls and processes
4. Create and maintain superb working relationships across the Finance, Legal, Sales and Business Development teams. Proactively engage in constructive conversations to maximize revenue in accordance with US GAAP and sound business practices.
5. Coordinate with Corporate Accountant to ensure proper revenue recognition and compliance in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
6. Responsible for oversight of other technical matters including revenue recognition issues, AR and Credit reserves.
7. Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Shared Services, FP&A, Business Leaders, Sales organization) regarding contract, billing, collections, revenue, and customer related matters.
8. Research, assess and document accounting implications on the Company’s revenue transactions and material judgments in an environment of complex and rapidly evolving industry.
9. Manage the design and operations of internal controls and policies and procedures related to revenue recognition and monthly close and reporting processes.
10. Manage and streamline the revenue accounting process to improve clarity, efficiency and scale for growth.
11. Responsible for digital joint ventures and other digital M&A activities from due diligence to execution of the transaction.
12. Manage and mentor accounting staff.
13. Provide insights, advice and training to the Finance and business development teams on contract structuring and its impact on revenue recognition.
14. Play a lead role in managing relationship with the auditors and provide support for quarterly reviews and annual audits.
15. Other ad-hoc projects as assigned.
* Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the accounting field with a focus on Revenue Accounting for at least 5 years.
* Experience in a public company environment subject to SOX controls and processes
* System implementation experience
* Strong communication skills and ability to present revenue accounting topics to senior management
* Strong GAAP knowledge and technical accounting research skills
* BS in Accounting, or related field
* Active CPA license
* Relentless desire to excel in and surpass the needs of both internal and external clients
* Enjoy challenges, excellent ability to grasp new concepts; avid learner
* Ability to train, mentor and motivate team members; a people leader
* Superior ability, to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced work environment
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
tennessee, tn, knoxville