Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Senior Manager – Other Revenue Accounting in Knoxville, TN to join our Global Business Services (“GBS”) team.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
This role establishes and maintains accounting policies and controls, fiscal controls, prepares financial reports and safeguardes the organization's assets. Maintains accounting and financial records and reports, including general ledger, financial statements, regulatory and management reports.
What you will be doing:
1. Manage the Global Compliance, Licensing and Royalties teams
2. Advise Operations and Legal on new contractual arrangements and provide clear direction on US GAAP revenue recognition implications of the contract terms
3. Interpret and document Global licensing contracts and amendments to determine proper revenue recognition in accordance with applicable pronouncements and company policies
4. Manage a team of direct resources and coordinate with others across Finance, Accounting and Sales
5. Create revenue models for multi-element arrangements
6. Manage month-end close related to licensing and royalties, including reviewing general ledger entries, revenue recognition, AR risk analysis and reconciliations
7. Ensure appropriate analyses are timely and accurate. Communicate results to the Director and respond to inquiries from Senior Management of the business unit.
8. Develop a close working partnership with the Finance, Regional International Controllers and Operational teams. Proactively learn the business and upstream processes to ensure proper Accounting.
9. Participate in the analytical review of actual vs. forecast vs. plan performance as it relates to Global Licensing and Royalties and communicate accounting impacts to the Financial Planning team
10. Evaluate and re-engineer current processes with a focus on streamlining and automating the work involved to calculate and pay royalties due to talent and producers while ensuring that the Business has access to information needed to assist their clients.
11. Develop policies and procedures, documentation, flowchart and reporting processes. Assist with the continuous review and improvement of revenue systems and business processes related to SAP and associated revenue systems.
12. Prepare management reports including applicable revenue-related metrics and KPI’s.
13. Assist with the maintenance and updating of internal controls for the contract to cash cycle and the related internal control compliance process.
14. Assist internal and external audit in their audit evaluation processes as requested.
15. Maintain strict confidentiality of the contractual arrangements between Discovery and its partners.
16. Develop a strong talent base within the team and provide growth opportunities for continued advancement. Mentor poor performers to ensure all employees are performing at a high level
What you need to have:
* BS/BA in Accounting or related field and at least 5 - 10 years of revenue accounting experience
* CPA required
* Experience with large ERP system (SAP preferred), strong in Excel and PC skills
* Applies fundamental functional/technical and business knowledge typically gained through formal education to deliver assigned work
* Proven experience in contract interpretation; experience with Royalty and Licensing contracts is desired.
* Results oriented, strong attention to detail a must
* Seeks guidance on new or unfamiliar tasks
* Keeps others informed of workload, timeline, and resources needed to accomplish tasks
* Ability to work under conditions of pressure and adjust to urgent situations
* Ability to work independently as well as working collaboratively with team members across the organization and prioritize multiple deliverables with competing deadlines
* Attention to detail and accuracy as well as strong organizational skills
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to foster positive working relationships across the organization
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
It's a plus if you have:
* Proficiency of SAP
* Previous experience in public accounting and/or the entertainment industry preferred
* Experience with International Accounting
* Experience in creating financial and other data models
tennessee, tn, knoxville