***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Who are we?
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries.
Discovery Education’s Corporate Education Partnerships (“CEP”) team is mission-driven and drives the organization’s public/private partnerships, collaborating across all sectors with like-minded organizations to support critical needs in the K-12 universe in order to drive youth achievement. The output of these partnerships includes cause marketing initiatives, workforce development solutions, and support for K-12 school service distribution in schools nationwide. We believe that access to dynamic learning experiences should not be dependent upon a student’s zip code and are committed to the transformation of teaching and learning in order to drive student achievement.
Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.
What We’re Looking For:
Discovery Education works with external and internal partners to further drive our mission by identifying and developing strategic initiatives that support Discovery Education efforts to transform teaching and learning.
As a key member of the Discovery Education Team, the Director of Corporate Partnerships, is responsible for extending Discovery Education’s impact through the development of strategic, custom-published education solutions with like-minded corporations, non-profits, government agencies, foundations and trade associations that are delivered to schools and families at no cost. Traditionally in underfunded areas such as workforce readiness, health & wellness, STEM, financial literacy, life skills and more, CEP programs support whole-child education and providing dynamic real-world learning opportunities for students nationwide.
The Director of Corporate Partnerships is responsible for the dynamic growth of the Division’s CEP client base and is accountable for proactively collaborating with the Partnership Development team to build, nurture and manage prospective partnership leads. The Director of Corporate Partnerships will oversee all aspects of his/her partner pipeline maturation, partnership proposals and negotiations, working in close collaboration with the CEP Development, Ideation & Concept Development, and Implementation teams.
Successful candidates for this role will demonstrate excellent public speaking skills, the ability to passionately and enthusiastically build partner engagement, a successful track record in partnership proposals & partnership development, a professional, collaborative, solution-oriented approach to his/her work, and a desire to make a meaningful difference in public education.
1. Represent Discovery Education at the highest levels within the business community, cultivating, nurturing and developing relationships at the national, regional and local levels to further business objectives.
2. Serve as lead Discovery Education executive in targeted partner/client meetings, working collaboratively with DE internal teams to ensure deep and broad-based understanding of DE’s impact and how DE can strategically support our partners’ business objectives.
3. Lead all partnership activity within territory, overseeing strategy and ongoing partnership activities in order to convert leads once transitioned from the Business Development team, owning all aspects of ongoing partnership cultivation, partnership and program development and negotiation.
4. Responsible for building a proactive, high-impact relationship with the Development team, ensuring strategic and effective collaboration in support of long-cycle Divisional objectives.
5. Responsible for highly conceptual conversations, with ability to strategically innovate in order to build fully customized education solutions for prospective partner base.
6. Excellent public presentation skills required, with ability to convey passion and enthusiasm in all client interactions.
7. Lead the development and execution of proactive, consistent and strategic merchandising efforts to ensure that all key DE stories, press, events and opportunities are optimized within territory, to key critical stakeholders.
8. Ensure prospective partner representation at all appropriate DE field events, trainings and community events within territory, directing the invitation process and coordinating between teams to ensure flawless client experiences and post-event merchandising.
9. Foster excellent client relations with exemplary written and verbal communications, attention to detail, and respect for the goals of each partner/program. This will include, but is not be limited to, leading bi-weekly territory status update meetings, providing detailed recaps of action items and raising up issues in a timely manner and working them to resolution.
10. Collaborate with team members in order to continually expand, enhance and refine service offerings in order to strategically optimize opportunities and assets in challenging environment.
11. Ensure that principles of efficiency, economy and quality are utilized in all work.
12. Be creative, thoughtful and forward thinking looking for breakthrough creative ideas and ways to meet our goals in impactful and effective manner.
* Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning
* Professional Experience: Minimum 10 years of direct partnership responsibility with proven ability to meet and exceed business objectives/targets and track record in achieving said business objectives; career background must demonstrate a clear growth trajectory with increasing levels of expertise
* External Focus: Director must be adept at interfacing directly with external partners and serve as a strategic leader to cultivate relationships across corporate and public/private sector organizations, often at the highest levels
* Communication Skills: Excellent written and oral communication as well as strong interpersonal skills
* Leadership: Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills; strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency and ability to inspire others to act and fulfill Discovery Education’s mission
* Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Team builder, not turf builder.
* Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
* Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: The ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach
* Learning orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
* Sense of humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes
* Technical Skills: Experience with CRM platform management (HubSpot, Salesforce, etc.), Proficiency in presentation design (Keynote or PowerPoint), Microsoft Excel, Social Media, etc. Experience with graphic design software a plus
* Flexible: Will require travel to attend partner meetings as needed, possibly 30-50% of the time
* Education industry and/or education related experience preferred
* Demonstrated proficiency utilizing online information resources and data tools for information retrieval and data entry; experience undertaking internet-based research
* Direct experience in the nonprofit sector as a staff member, board member, or volunteer, including some international experience, is preferred
* Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree’s preferred
* Legal right to work in the United States
Charlotte, North Carolina, NC, Silver Spring, MD, Maryland