***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Who are we?
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving 4.5 million educators and over 50 million students, Discovery Education’s services are in half of U.S. classrooms, 50 percent of all primary schools in the U.K., and more than 50 countries.
Discovery Education’s Corporate Education Partnerships (“CEP”) team is mission-driven and drives the organization’s public/private partnerships, collaborating across all sectors with like-minded organizations to support critical needs in the K-12 universe in order to drive youth achievement. The output of these partnerships includes cause marketing initiatives, workforce development solutions, and support for K-12 school service distribution in schools nationwide. We believe that access to dynamic learning experiences should not be dependent upon a student’s zip code and are committed to the transformation of teaching and learning in order to drive student achievement.
Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.
What We’re Looking For:
The Discovery Education CEP team seeks a high-energy, high-potential individual who shares our passion for ensuring the success of every student and our belief in the importance of closing the opportunity gap. The Director of STEM Coalition Partnerships will lead the development, management and growth of the organization’s public/private STEM alliance which is designed to function as an early-intervention, collective-impact model to support addressing the workforce readiness challenges facing industry today.
The selected candidate will be inspired by the opportunity to connect like-minded corporations, non-profits, government agencies, foundations and trade associations in a unified mission to positively influence STEM education as a precursor to the pursuit of STEM careers. We are looking for that unique individual who has proven success in alliance building, and a solid background in multi-channel engagement strategies across development, research, fundraising, partner engagement and client management.
With accountability for nurturing the efficiency and effectiveness of the Coalition initiative, this position will unite programmatic and functional expertise into a sustainable STEM model fueled by Discovery Education’s proven success of crafting public/private partnerships to support educator engagement and youth achievement in schools nationwide.
External Program Lead:
1. Serve as the external champion of the Coalition with potential funding partners, owning the partner pipeline with accountability for cultivating, securing and onboarding members to support program impact
2. Effectively articulate the value proposition and success metrics to potential partners
3. Provide support and guidance to partners in aligning resources to support the Coalition, ensuring partners have all the needed assets, information, case studies, etc. to understand the progress of the effort, ensuring confidence and sustained engagement
Program Design (Internal):
1. Steer multiple stakeholder perspectives, motivations, and levels of engagement and investment into a national strategy and cohesive set of deliverables
2. Own the development and execution of funding models to ensure optimal scale and impact
3. Oversee all initiative workstreams in a highly matrixed environment, exhibiting excellent project management skills that reflect a strong PMP mentality
4. Build and maintain relationships with leadership across Discovery Education
1. With appropriate internal partners, guide the design of program-wide strategic learning and evaluation systems that provide a framework and implementation plan
2. Coordinate with Discovery Education’s Research team and related external firms to ensure the strategic evaluation of alliance impact, minimizing redundancies and aligning strategies and actions, including conducting individual outreach and education as needed
3. Coordinate with other coalitions in the same field to maintain a full understanding of the current landscape of activities
4. Ensure effective facilitation of all partner and Advisory Group meetings, and provide regular reports on group progress against goals and indicators
5. Help identify and recruit additional cross-sector stakeholders to participate in the STEM Coalition work
1. Provide visionary, adaptive leadership, guiding STEM Coalition values at all times and fostering a culture that reflects our shared mission
2. Collaborate with the CEP management team to establish, facilitate, and execute effective and open communication with team members, particularly related to internal decisions and strategy; developing systems to share organizational decisions with the Coalition partners, Advisory Group and DE staff
3. Promote efficiency, growth, and clear thinking on program development for partners by reviewing, advising and leading program design, understanding fiscal information and evaluation data, and helping implement partnerships with related community-based groups and philanthropic partners
The perfect candidate for this role will possess the unique blend of superior partnership development/sales ability, with the right stuff to lead a multi-channel project that requires flexibility, proactive planning skills, organizational rigor, a critical thinking mindset; and the proven ability to problem solve in an actionable way that facilitates collaborative progress.
* Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning
* Professional Experience: Minimum 6-10 years professional experience in sales, business development, research and insights, public-private partnership, fundraising, or collective impact roles. Possess an understanding of channel partnerships, SaaS, and other revenue models and a base understanding of evaluation content knowledge acquired through formal training and / or education in evaluation
* External Focus: Director must be adept at interfacing directly with external partners and serve as a strategic leader to cultivate relationships across corporate and public/private sector organizations, often at the highest levels
Communication Skills: Excellent written and oral communication as well as strong interpersonal skills
* Leadership: Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills; strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency and ability to inspire others to act and fulfill Discovery Education’s mission
* Collaborative: Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. Team builder, not turf builder.
* Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
* Self-Motivation and Self-Starter: The ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach
* Learning orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
* Sense of humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes
* Technical Skills: Experience with CRM platform management (HubSpot, Salesforce, etc.), Proficiency in presentation design (Keynote or PowerPoint), Microsoft Excel, Social Media, etc. Experience with graphic design software a plus
* Flexible: Will require travel to attend partner meetings as needed, possibly 30-50% of the time
* Education industry and/or STEM related experience preferred
* Demonstrated proficiency utilizing online information resources and data tools for information retrieval and data entry; experience undertaking internet-based research
* Direct experience in the nonprofit sector as a staff member, board member, or volunteer, including some international experience, is preferred
* Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree’s preferred
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Charlotte, North Carolina, NC, Silver Spring, MD, Maryland