Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
The Corporate Legal department is responsible for all legal matters related to DCI’s businesses and operations, worldwide. The legal department provides advice and counsel on broad range of areas including employment, retail, technology, advertising, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial joint ventures, licensing, trademarks, patents, corporate operations and litigation. This department negotiates and drafts a wide array of contracts including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, software licenses, bank loans and asset/stock purchase agreements.
Discovery Inc. seeks a bright, highly motivated individual to provide paralegal support to the company’s in-house securities lawyer. This role is responsible for general corporate and entity management activities, including maintaining the minute books, corporate governance and compliance, subsidiary board meeting scheduling and preparation, document preparation, research, and general corporate maintenance.
1. Maintain database of subsidiaries, minute books and other corporate records.
2. Assist with required legal entity corporate compliance activities, including annual meetings, appointment of directors and officers, powers of attorney, annual reports, document preparation, etc.
3. Assist with the formation, maintenance, and dissolution of legal entities.
4. Other duties as assigned.
What you need to have:
* Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution OR equivalent years of experience
* Minimum of 3 years of corporate law experience, preferably in a large law firm or in house legal department.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
It’s a plus if you have:
* Significant experience managing corporate records and minute books; experience with international entities a plus.
* Excellent writing, organizational, and attention to detail skills.
* Ability to work well under pressure.
* Ability to handle high volume of work and multi-task a variety of assignments, as well as recognize priorities and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
* Ability to function on an independent basis, with moderate supervision.
* Excellent computer skills a must (including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, knowledge/experience setting up databases, tables, knowledge of redlining software); experience with Blueprint OneWorld a plus.
tennessee, tn, knoxville, kx