The Domestic Distribution team is responsible for distributing Discovery’s 18 US networks, including Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and Investigation Discovery. The group is also responsible for distributor relationships in Canada and works with global partners as necessary.
The VP of Digital Distribution will develop and execute strategies for distribution of Discovery’s digital media offerings across digital platforms including OTT, mobile and more. This person will be responsible for negotiations with digital partners (including digital MVPDs, SVOD providers, device manufacturers, pay TV partners and wireless carriers / aggregators) for the distribution of all Discovery Networks’ content and digital services and is responsible for hitting the distribution revenue goals established by the company. They will manage relationships with existing clients and develop and establish relationships with new entrants. This person will demonstrate expertise on all new digital platforms, and represent Discovery’s strategy externally and internally.
1. Negotiate content distribution deals with digital platforms.
2. Oversee partner management for all digital clients
3. Responsible for growing digital distribution revenue through existing partnerships and new business development.
4. Develop and implement strategies to increase distribution of Discovery’s content and digital services.
5. Work closely with Domestic Distribution colleagues to drive Discovery interests with facilities-based distributors during and outside of renewals (e.g. TV Everywhere, OTT etc).
6. Maintain strong relationships with all digital media distributors, technology companies and vendors by maintaining a deep understanding of their business in order to maximize Discovery value.
7. Serve as a key representative for various internal groups, by providing marketplace updates, Discovery distribution updates, and serve as a source of strategic guidance.
8. Communicate current marketplace information on industry trends for competitive products including: business models, deal terms and strategic partnerships / marketing.
9. Work closely with Discovery Networks International on digital distribution outside of the United States, particularly with U.S.-based companies.
10. Work on special projects and presentations for executive management.
* This person must have the savvy, drive, energy and commitment to drive new revenue for Discovery.
* This person must be a strategic thinker, extremely organized and disciplined, while also maintaining ability to be a tactical executor under tight time constraints.
* Must have an understanding of affiliate or commercial agreements and experience with substantive deal negotiation.
* Must be extremely competent in all aspects of the digital media ecosystem.
* Candidate needs to have excellent sales presentation skills.
* Candidate should have a proven track record of relationship management and year over year revenue growth with existing partners.
* Must have impeccable communication skills and be a team player.
* Willing to travel 40%-50% of the time.
* 10+ years experience in a fast-paced media-related business required.
* Undergraduate degree required and MBA / JD preferred.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York City, New York, NYC, NY