Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Director, Employment Legal in Knoxville, TN.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
The Corporate Legal department is responsible for all legal matters related to DCI’s businesses and operations, worldwide. The legal department provides advice and counsel on broad range of areas including employment, retail, technology, advertising, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial joint ventures, licensing, trademarks, patents, corporate operations and litigation. This department negotiates and drafts a wide array of contracts including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, software licenses, bank loans and asset/stock purchase agreements.
The Director of Employment Legal will work closely with HR, the internal legal team, and the business to provide day-to-day advice and subject matter expertise. The incumbent will advise on the full range of employee relations and other labor and employment issues. The Director of Employment Legal will interpret the latest employment legislation and case law into practical, straight forward language to deliver workable solutions for the business.
* A minimum of 7 years of experience in employment legal.
* Top academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and bar admission.
* Excellent negotiation and drafting skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills – ability to work effectively at all levels within the company.
* Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) – ability to present and distil legally complex issues into legally compliant but practical and commercial solutions, in a way that engages the key stakeholders.
* Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of clients, and ability to prioritize while handling multiple responsibilities.
* A solid work ethic and an interest in building a team committed to quality and excellence.
* Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
* Calm under pressure, clear thinking, well organized, proactive and grasps concepts quickly.
* Emotionally intelligent outlook – must have the ability to diffuse and calm others.
* Inclusive behavior – ensuring that all key stakeholders are consistently kept in the loop.
* Should excel in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
* Ability to manage own time judiciously and deal effectively with competing interests.
* Some travel may be required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
tennessee, tn, knoxville