Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
The Corporate Legal department is responsible for all legal matters related to DCI’s businesses and operations, worldwide. The legal department provides advice and counsel on broad range of areas including employment, retail, technology, advertising, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial joint ventures, licensing, trademarks, patents, corporate operations and litigation. This department negotiates and drafts a wide array of contracts including employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, software licenses, bank loans and asset/stock purchase agreements.
Discovery is seeking a Director of Anti-Piracy to join the IP and Litigation Legal team. This position will be responsible for managing the company’s approach to combatting anti-piracy worldwide, and will report to the Senior Vice President, Intellectual Property and Litigation. The incumbent will assess, develop, and roll out a comprehensive global anti-piracy strategy for the company, as well as handle all anti-piracy and related infringement matters on a day to day basis. This position requires a high level of internal interaction with staff of all levels in various regions of the company, and a strong background in anti-piracy protection in the media space.
This position can be located in NYC or London, UK.
1. Analyze, assess, and refine existing approach to anti-piracy globally and across all areas of the business
2. Collaborate with key stakeholders in the regions to understand company’s current piracy challenges and to assess new approaches to combatting anti-piracy
3. Develop and rollout comprehensive anti-piracy program with specific recommendations and investment recommendations; measure success of program
4. Manage external anti-piracy vendor relationships
5. Provide reporting and regular updates to senior executives in the company
6. Forecast and assist in the setting of yearly budgetary requirements for anti-piracy function
7. Collaborate with government relations colleagues on piracy related laws/ regulations and lobbying efforts
8. Collaborate with digital team to address infringements on online and social media platforms
9. Respond to routine requests from business to address online infringements, IPTV, signal theft, set top box issues, and other forms of piracy
10. Draft and send cease and desist letters and similar correspondence related to piracy and infringements
11. Prepare and submit DMCA take down notices and similar requests
12. Identify training and awareness needs, and develop relevant programs related to same
* Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in the anti-piracy field, preferably in the media/entertainment/broadcasting industry
* Ability to work independently
* Sound knowledge of domestic and international intellectual property laws, including copyright laws relied on to combat piracy
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated attention to detail
* Strong organizational skills
* Strong analytic skills
* Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Team player
* Ability to travel, both foreign and domestic
* Law degree from an ABA accredited law school, and licensed to practice law in at least one state in the United States
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
New York, New York City, NY, NYC