Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Manager, Technical Accounting in Knoxville, TN to join our Accounting team.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
The Manager Technical Accounting will be a part of the team responsible for the documentation of the company’s accounting assessments and policies. This individual should be comfortable working directly with management of the company as well as the external auditors.
What you will be doing:
1. Assist with the development and documentation of the company’s global accounting policies
2. Act as an accounting subject matter expert for various non-standard accounting topics
3. Assess, conclude on and document accounting treatment for transactions and contracts
4. Advise, guide and monitor peers as it relates to compliant accounting behavior
5. Take on a proactive role in accounting and accounting-related projects (e.g. implementation of new accounting standards, business and M&A projects)
6. Create presentations for senior management
7. Work directly with the external auditors on the annual audit and quarterly reviews
8. Coordinate work activities with other company leaders around the world
9. Accountable for the performance of a team, sets priorities for the team to ensure task completion
10. Other duties and responsibilities as needed
What you need to have:
* BS/BA in related discipline from an accredited institution
* Minimum of 5 years of experience and a strong understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP), IFRS, and SOX requirements
* Minimum of 2 years of experience in a supervisory/leadership role
* CPA required
It’s a plus if you have:
* Big 4 public accounting background
* Experience in financial reporting and/or technical accounting of an SEC registrant
* Experience working directly with external auditors to resolve complex accounting and reporting issues
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Attention to detail, accuracy and strong organizational skills
* Capacity to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
* Must be able to work collaboratively with cross-functional team members at all levels
* Experience implementing best practices that require significant innovation for improving processes by applying advanced understanding of complex functional/technical and business issues and challenges
* Ability to anticipate resource requirements and to make adjustments based on emerging issues and priorities
* Experience with Hyperion, Peoplesoft or SAP strongly preferred