As VP of Engineering at Discovery Digital Ventures you will lead, manage, and inspire engineering teams developing next-generation multiplatform video streaming & content solutions for our Brand sites, TV Everywhere, Over-the-top (OTT), Mobile Focused Apps & Virtual reality consumer product offerings. You’ll help the team fulfil technical, operational, and business requirements by putting yourself in the trenches & acting as a technology partner, influencer and guide for the P&L leaders.
You will be a key member of a leadership team that leverages Agile processes for product development & an organizational structure that creates a collaborative culture by leveraging cross-functional team members that have end-to-end responsibility for product delivery.
2. Lead Architecture & development of REST based Content Entitlement services that are consumed by a cross-section of consumer devices – iOS, TvOS, Android, Roku, PlayStation, HTC, Oculus, Google Daydream etc. – as well as websites and 3rd parties.
3. Envision & lead development of frameworks, libraries & documentation that facilitate rapid development & reuse.
4. Ensure Five 9’s availability of all services – infrastructure, streaming and software.
5. Integrate ad solutions (VPAID, VAST) and strive to innovate new formats (targeted - Contextual & personal) & techniques (server-side ad insertion, dynamic ad replacement) to ensure content monetization.
6. Provide Level of Effort (LOE) for organic solutions & undertake diligence of 3rd party products / services.
7. Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes that drive velocity, adaptability & revenue.
8. Help build, lead & mentor great software teams to deliver world-class consumer products.
9. Drive an excellent customer experience, continually raising the bar on functionality, usability, and simplicity.
* You measure success in terms of performance & scale of your engineering solutions and not your team size and budget.
* You strive in a culture of innovation - willing to say yes and try out new ideas and living outside your comfort zone.
* You are comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
* Deep understanding of how culture and team dynamics create exceptional teams.
* You are relentless in your need for knowledge on the latest products and processes and how they can apply to your role and team’s growth.
* BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field.
* 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 4+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
* Working knowledge of caching technologies and patterns (e.g., Memcache, Redis, CDNs) and other related application scaling techniques.
* Knowledge of Video compression, packaging, cloud and streaming technologies.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.