***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement.
The Vice President Finance is a key member of the senior leadership team, influencing the strategic direction of the business. The primary responsibility will be to maximize value creation and develop and implement effective finance and budget strategies across the organization. Along with CFO, will develop Company’s financial model and is responsible for the business planning and analytical support behind the sales and operations of the Company. Provides operational and financial decision support analytics to the executive management team.
1. Own the business financial planning and analysis function that provides the analytical support behind the sales and operations of the Company, rolls up the monthly estimates and provides decision support analytics to management
2. Oversee strategic policies, processes, tools, dashboards, and systems necessary to manage the organization’s financial operations in an effective and efficient manner
3. Direct financial operations of the organization including bank relationships, treasury, cash management, and forecasting
4. Collaborate with Legal to assess risk management and ensure organizational compliance with all regulatory requirements
5. Instill a collaborative working relationship across the organization to ensure effective budget preparation, monitoring of budget variances and linking actual results back to strategic priorities established by the Board and executive team
6. Prepare accurate financial reports and support communication with board and investors
7. Lead financial and organizational effectiveness matters; lead and implement the development of business intelligence that drives decisions around financial effectiveness, risk assessments, and the achievement of long-term plans
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Relevant undergraduate degree in business, finance or accounting required; an MBA or equivalent advanced professional degree and CPA preferred
* 10+ years of hands-on experience in finance or accounting management, including 5+ years of in-depth financial management experience, experience working with private equity a plus
* Demonstrated critical thinking and expertise in designing financial management strategies, ensuring responsive compliance support, and bringing energy, initiative and resourcefulness to strengthen Company financial abilities
* Demonstrated fiduciary experience, commitment and in-depth knowledge of accounting rules
* Ability to strategically analyze financial data, both at an overall organizational level as well as the detailed program/project levels
* Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to develop positive and productive relationships and decisively build buy-in across the organization
* A track record of improving processes across finance, bringing greater efficiency and effectiveness to a growing organization
* Expert level proficiency with Excel (and related financial modeling techniques) as well as PowerPoint presentation creation.
* Strong and proven organizational and leadership skills contributing to organizational vision – comfortable with a high level of visibility, responsibility, and accountability
* Strong manager with emphasis on team building and staff development, with emphasis on timely delivery, attention to detail, and prioritizing work flow to meet deadlines