***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content that supports the implementation of Common Core, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Available in over half of all U.S. schools, community colleges and in 50 countries around the world, Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement.
This position is responsible for the day to day planning, implementation and operation of Discovery Education’s technology infrastructure and internal support. The technology infrastructure includes data centers, networks, telephony, contact centers, servers, storage, mobile computing, software application environments and IT purchasing. The IT Director and their team will be responsible for setting and meeting stringent SLAs for internal customers. This role is also responsible for managing key vendor relationships and the contractual performance of those vendors. The IT Director is expected to collaborate with other teams inside and outside of IT to deliver projects and other joint work products.
1. Plan, design, implement and operate the Discovery Education technology infrastructure and collaboratively set and drive technology standards throughout the organization
2. Maintain service level agreements while providing highest level of service:
a. Provide system software advice and assistance to end users
b. Enhance and manage all help desk policies and procedures
c. Oversee the evaluation, installation and maintenance of system software
d. Manage the evaluation, deployment and support of new software and hardware as required to meet business requirements
e. Maintain a high degree of interaction with the general user community
3. Manage and effectively communicate change, issues, risks, and potential mitigation strategies associated with technology operations to senior management
4. Define and lead all IT-related security and compliance processes, communications and policies
5. Manage outsourced IT management providers and technology vendor relationships and hold them accountable for contractual performance
6. Work collaboratively with other teams inside and outside IT to deliver projects and other work products
7. Supervises employees in the IT group with responsibility for hiring, training, directing work, performance management and recognition.
8. Oversee the data migration from various Discovery systems to Discovery Education.
* Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in MIS, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field. Master’s degree (M.S.) preferred
* Seven years’ experience managing technology infrastructure teams
* Five years’ experience working with VOIP-based technologies
* Ten years’ experience working with common technology vendors such as Microsoft, Cisco, EMC, Oracle, HP, AT&T, and VMWare
* Must have strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present effectively to top management
* Must have excellent project management and organizational skills with demonstrated success delivering desired results
* Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions is critical
* Ability to quickly establish comfortable and effective working relationships required
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.