We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a senior software engineer to build feature-rich Roku applications. Background in Computer Science/Information Systems and a firm understanding of how to build elegant and efficient code is required.
We deploy applications for each of our network brands: Discovery, TLC, Velocity, Science Chanel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, Discovery Life and OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network)
Our Roku technology stack includes BrightScript with SceneGraph, Roku Advertising Framework (RAF) and Roku Marketing Framework (RMF). We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
2. Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
3. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
4. Translate functional requirements into solutions that work well with current architecture.
5. Preform peer code reviews.
6. Own feature specific development verticals.
7. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
8. Identify inefficiencies and make recommendations.
9. Stay informed with changes in technology.
10. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
What You Need
* 4+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 2+ years of professional experience working with BrightScript (preferably with the SceneGraph SDK).
* Commanding knowledge of component rendering, threads, debugging and performance across a wide range of Roku devices, from newer to older, low-performance models.
* Experience with public and private channel deployment.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
Skills & Requirements
* You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Skills with optimizing rendering performance using profiling and debugging tools.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Nice to Haves
Experience with any of the following would be considered a plus…
* Roku Ad Framework (RAF)
* Roku Marketing Framework (RMF)
* Google Analytics
New York, NYC, New York City