Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance. Discovery Education transforms classrooms and inspires teachers with engaging content and services that measure and improve student achievement.
A. Position Summary:
The goal of this position is to provide exceptional, creative solutions to support Regional Marketing, Acquisiton Marketing and Events team activity. The Marketing Director will lead his/her functional team of experts to provide strategic, creative input into plans and programs based on briefs prepared by the marketing team.
The Director manages the operational delivery of the integrated marketing programs working alongside the team’s functional experts. As a project director, the Marketing Director manages workflow, resource allocation and prioritization of plans and deliverables through to a flawless and timely execution.
To be successful, the Marketing Director must have a deep understanding of all available marketing channels, media and touch points as well as what is involved in the execution. The Marketing Director must be a master storyteller who can drive the creative process and deliver impactful work.
• Functional oversight includes:
1. Design – online and offline
2. Digital Marketing – Website, SEO, SEM, Email software, Social Networking
3. Video Production
4. Data – list management, campaign reporting, CRM
1. Develop strategic, functional marketing programs that support product, campaign and regional goals working alongside Acquisition Directors and Regional Marketing Managers.
2. Lead functional team toward executing integrated, highly creative and impactful marketing programs.
3. Ensure creative is “on brand” and tells a story that resonates with key targets – K-12 educators
4. Utilize “best practice” direct, digital marketing and communication techniques.
5. Plan and schedule marketing programs, identifying the skills and resources to deliver the programs and managing the programs to completion on time and within budget.
6. Ensure programs are measurable against objectives and collect, analyze and highlight key data/learning/issues for Acquisition and Regional Marketing teams.
7. Assist Acquisition Directors and Regional Marketing Managers in campaign design, targeting and list management in order to maximize the success, leveraging internal and external data sources.
8. Manage relationships with internal teams and external suppliers to agree on budgets and lead times for each stage of the project.
9. Further build and manage relationship with Discovery’s internal creative/design team and external designers and writers.
10. Assist with the integration of CRM/SalesForce into marketing operations and campaign management.
11. Improve and automate processes and systems to operate more efficiently and scale to growth in marketing activity.
* 6-8 years experience; education sector marketing preferred.
* Experience across functional marketing channels – specifically direct marketing (email, web) – and an understanding of best practice strategies and successful tactics.
* Account management at creative agency experience a plus.
* Education K-12 sector experience a plus.
* Expert organizational skills and high attention to detail.
* Proven ability to manage several marketing activities simultaneously and prioritize in sales-driven, deadline driven organization.
* Superior skills in planning, systems, process and campaign management.
* Strong project management skills, workflow and resource allocation
* High energy and enthusiastic ‘can do’ leadership skills are important.
* Track record of handling multiple projects simultaneously while paying strong attention to detail.
* Creative, solutions-oriented with strong initiative and problem solving skills and an understanding of marketing’s role in driving sales
* High energy and enthusiastic leadership skills are a must
* Experience negotiating vendor/partner/marketing agreements
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
* Expert knowledge of all MS Office professional productivity applications (Word, PowerPoint, Access, etc.)
* Salesforce and ExactTarget software a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the US
Silver Spring, SS, Maryland, Washington DC