Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, and numerous institutes of higher learning around the world.
The Human Resources Director will be a key member of the Human Resources leadership team. This position will lead the HR Operations team. The role requires the ability and willingness to complete daily responsibilities in a proactive and collaborative way, supporting our employees. This position can be based out of Discovery Education's Silver Spring, MD or Charlotte, NC office.
1. Work with the senior leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive HR strategy to support the businesses
2. Design and provide the appropriate compensation, rewards and recognition processes including commission based employees, annual salary planning process, and other plans to meet the needs of the organization
3. Identify, design and deliver the necessary performance management and development programs that ensure employees are able to meet current & future performance standards and business requirements.
4. Lead efforts to identify drivers of employee engagement and develop policies and programs to drive high levels of employee engagement that engender an environment that encourages open and productive interactions
5. Oversee benefit offerings and ensure effective administration and compliance; partner with external vendors to ensure programs are competitive and are utilized
6. Provide expert advice to management and employees on interpreting and applying company policies and procedures. Identify and develop needed policy updates and new policies; Stay current with changes in employment law and emerging trends; work with the Legal team to ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
7. Responsible for ensuring cohesive staffing/recruiting strategies and processes across the business to support the needs of the organization; provide recruiting services as needed
8. Establish objectives for HR team and ensure operational excellence and effective HR service delivery
* Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or a business-related field
* SPHR or SRHM SCP certification preferred
* Seven plus years of experience in human resources with at least five in a managerial capacity
* Demonstrated knowledge of HR/personnel practices and principles and applicable labor, pay, and benefits laws and regulations
* Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Strong coaching, influencing, facilitation, presentation and communication skills required
* Ability to modify and adjust individual approach and delivery to fit specific situations
* Ability to work independently, exercise discretion, and multi-task
* Ability to handle a high level of confidentiality regarding employee information
* Must have the legal right to work in the US
Silver Spring, MD, Maryland, Washington DC, Charlotte, North Carolina, NC