***If you accept a position with Discovery Education you will be an at- will employee under Discovery Education and eligible for Discovery Education benefits and compensation plans. This role is not a Discovery, Inc. position.***
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Director, Assessment and Adapting Learning will lead the development and deployment of assessment solutions for Discovery Education products and help establish a marketable vision for the use of adaptive learning technologies in Discovery Education products. The individual will employ knowledge and understanding of sound assessment and analytics practice to ensure that Discovery Education services are of highest educational quality. The Director will collaborate closely with the other teams in the Digital Instruction Group as well as product development and systems engineering teams to develop digital products and services that meet the business needs of the company. The individual will work with partnerships and marketing teams to provide knowledge of emerging and existing products and will provide direct support to those teams as requested. The individual will work closely with professional development and partnership experience teams to ensure a seamless connection between products and client training and support. The Director will also provide support as needed to sponsorships and partnerships team and will provide input and direct support in development of sponsored products. Travel will be required for this position.
1. Primary responsibility for development of high quality assessment within all Discovery Education products, domestically and internationally
2. Primary responsibility for the development of a marketable approach to learning analytics within Discovery Education products
3. Manage the development, quality assurance, scheduling, production and release of all assessments within DE products.
4. Collaborate with other members of the Digital Instruction Group, product development, and systems engineering teams to support the vision and define requirements, specifications, and use cases for assessment and reporting components within the larger context of innovative digital assessment product
5. Manage assessment developers and data analysts to ensure the overall assessment approach meets standards for validity, reliability, and fairness for diverse types of assessment and supports studies of growth and continual learning models
6. Serve as a resource to all curricula areas on state-of-the-art methodologies for formative and summative assessment within the context of evolving academic expectations and state and federal policy reforms
7. Help develop vision and guidance on assessment opportunities (including technology enhanced items) and best practices to inform platform design and assessment development
8. Oversee the development and automation of data capture, integration, analysis, and reporting processes, managing the security and quality of student learning data
9. Report and advise upon specific and general issues arising from assessment development and production
10. Provide training to sales and marketing regarding new developments within Discovery Education services and sponsorships projects
11. Collaborate with Discovery Education professional development and partnership experience teams to ensure continuous learning for clients
12. Develop and maintain collaborative relationships within Discovery Education product development, assessment, editorial, instructional technology, sales, marketing, and Corporate Education Partnerships teams
13. Establish and maintain relationships with clients to introduce, orient, and maintain Discovery Education assessment services and other Discovery Education services and products
14. Other duties assigned as business needs indicate
* Master’s Degree in educational assessment or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and experience is required
* Advanced degree in education (M.A., Ph.D., Ed.D.) or equivalent, with preference to expertise in educational technology
* 5+ years’ experience in K-12 mathematics and/or ELA education and/or assessment development
* 5+ years’ experience with multiple forms of assessment including formative, diagnostic, adaptive, and benchmark assessments
* Knowledge and experience in online learning
* Expertise in K-12 assessment development and evaluation
* Experience in development/publishing of digital education materials or products in multiple subject areas
* Must have the legal right to work in the US
Silver Spring, Maryland, DC, DMV, Washington