Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Director of STEM West will be responsible for expanding Discovery Education’s STEM brand on the West Coast. This individual will support Partnerships Teams in district meetings, deliver STEM Academies and STEM Leader Forums on the west coast, and lead STEM Leader Retreats and STEM Launches in support of partner implementations. This individual will also find new ways to elevate Discovery Education’s STEM brand in the Western United States, including delivering keynote address and conference sessions before relevant education audiences, authoring thought leadership pieces focusing on the activities of West Coast school systems, and serving as the Discovery Education representative at relevant STEM-related gatherings.
This person will also be involved in National STEM activities such as the summer STEMersion Conference, the National STEM Symposium, 3M Young Scientist Challenge, Siemens STEM Day and more.
1. Sharing Discovery Education’s unique vision for STEM education and building strong relationships with senior district staff and other relevant stakeholders
2. In concert with the Western Partnerships team, elevating and expanding the Discovery Education STEM brand
3. Planning and delivering STEM Academies, STEM Leader Forums, STEM Leader Retreats and STEM Launch events in the west
4. Serving as a keynote speaker and concurrent session provider at numerous education/STEM conferences and functions
5. Authoring articles, whitepapers and other materials on the activites of Discovery Education’s Western STEM Partners
6. Serving as the Discovery Education representative at other STEM-focused events
7. Communicating with and training the Western Partnership teams about the complexities of DE STEM initiatives and services and how to leverage them
8. Researching and determining specific areas of STEM that are relevant to individual districts and communities
9. Encouraging students and teachers in West Coast districts to participate in CEP STEM events and competitions
10. Overseeing the work of Discovery Education’s Education Consultants as they create STEM proposals to ensure fidelity to DE’s vision for STEM education
11. Participating in the DE STEM twitter chats, STEM webinars and writing STEM blogs
* Master’s degree in education required, doctorate preferred
* Minimum 10 years teaching experience in a PreK-12 STEM classroom
* Minimum 5 years’ experience delivering and implementing STEM PD
* Minimum 5 year’s experience collaborating with STEM industry partners
* Minimum 10 presentations at local, regional, state of national conferences
* Ability to travel 70% of the time
* Ability to run STEM twitter chats, webinars and podcasts
* Ability to take ownership of projects
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Media and communications experience with school district is preferred
* Experience working in or with large and small school districts is preferred
* Experience in arts integration is preferred