Discovery Communications’ Global Music Services (GMS) is looking for an LA-based full-time Music Supervisor (MS) to begin in January/February of 2018. The MS will assist the Los Angeles-based Creative Director and Global Music Supervision team at large in acting as a creative music consultant to both Internal and External Production Vendors who create content for Discovery Communications. Primarily, the MS will assist in curating and distributing customized playlists from the Discovery MusicSource Library (DMS) to Discovery-related programming with specific emphasis on LA-based Discovery Channel and TLC network productions.
The MS will also assist the Creative Director as needed with pitching composers for various series, commissioning composers for custom library music for DMS, reviewing incoming music submissions, negotiations and deal-making with various libraries and composers, client outreach, writing creative briefs, music research (legal and creative) and DMS curation. This position is responsible for supporting the Discovery brand with strategic music choices, becoming proficient with DMS’ Soundminer platform, developing and nurturing creative relationships both externally and internally, gaining in-depth knowledge of DMS music offerings and understanding publishing and licensing basics. Experience in the television or production music library industry is essential, and experience in Reality TV a big plus.
NOTE: The GMS creative team does not typically provide sync or clearance services, but focuses on working with composers and providing pre-existing underscore for various series. For this reason, a noted acumen for instrumental underscore and experience working with composers are highly welcomed.
1. Act as music liaison to both internal and external Production Vendors primarily located in Los Angeles, particularly those creating series for TLC and Discovery Channels.
2. Provide creative support to DMS clients (production companies, network producers) through the distribution of the DMS Library: help establish and support a music direction for various series by providing curated playlists and/or drives, reviewing rough cuts and responding promptly to network notes, maximizing use of DMS content, external music partners and off-line music archives to that end.
3. Pitch various deals and external composers to Production Vendors and oversee custom music composition connected with various series.
4. Work with Creative Director and Operations Manager to coordinate and review composer agreements and commission proposals.
5. Assist Creative Director with Library Commissions including writing Creative Briefs, providing demo feedback and assisting Product Manager with managing deliverables.
6. Coordinate and screen general music submissions as needed by the Creative Director.
7. Attend creative meetings with clients as well as various internal meetings including monthly Music Supervisor meeting as needed.
8. Coordinate user account management and authorization process for DMS website to ensure authorized users only.
* A college degree or extended coursework focusing on music and/or the entertainment business.
* Experience working with music as related to Music Libraries and/or TV & Cable productions.
* Strong knowledge of a broad array of musical styles, particularly instrumental underscore, as well as the basics of music production and general music terminology.
* Strong customer service ethic and a pro-active approach to client services.
* Basic understanding of publishing and licensing.
* Strong writing and communication skills.
* The proven ability to work independently and establish day-to-day priorities.
* Demonstrated attention to detail, especially with regard to metadata, legal documents, etc.
* Proficient in MS Word and Excel. MAC and PC experience.
* Ability to manage multiple tasks and a resourceful approach to problem solving.
* Ability to work with creative individuals in a supportive and productive manner, including an innate awareness and respect for the collaborative nature of the creative process.
* Must have the legal right to work in the US