Position ensures the specifications, implementation, performance, operation and maintenance of teleport systems, and deliver the highest standard of reliability to our affiliates. Project implementations may extend into supporting or leading design and development engineering activities within a collaborative engineering workflow environment
1. Provide engineering technical support for Discovery owned teleports & 3rd Party locations, projects, programs, and initiatives.
2. Lead technical resolution when performing emergency restoral actions on ground station equipment, including: up converters, down converters, HPA's, fiber optic subsystems, LNA/LNB's, antennas, IP and Baseband equipment (modems, multiplexers, DVB and Broadband technology platforms) and video systems.
3. Provide guidance to others on applicable technologies, ground station equipment, operational and maintenance procedures, and providing technical training on equipment.
4. Serve a technical lead role in operating and maintaining a wide variety of ground station equipment and communication systems.
5. Serve as assigned engineer for analysis, design, development, and implementation activities
6. Serve a teleport technical lead role in the installation, testing and successful turn-up of new systems & services, installing and configuring equipment, associated wiring and cabling, and administrative requirements.
7. Lead preventative and periodic maintenance checks of ground station equipment and associated sub-systems, validating recordings and reviews for any anomalies and taking the appropriate action to correct.
8. Determine proper methods for testing equipment and RF/IF systems chains and interpret the results to verify normal/abnormal conditions of equipment.
9. Pro-actively monitor the conditions of all Discovery multiplexes.
10. CCENT/CCNA certification or equivalent work experience preferred
11. These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job
* Must have an in-depth knowledge of systems level architecture and ground station equipment.
* Demonstrated in-depth working knowledge of Satellite Earth Station technologies.
* Must have working knowledge of RF theory, and basic electronics, with specific expertise of major systems to include: antenna drive systems, High Power Amplifiers, Up/Down Converters, Fiber Optic sub-systems, Baseband (modems, multiplexers, Broadband and IP technologies) and Video technologies/systems.
* Must have demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and ability to use industry standard test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, power meters, synthesized generators, video wave form meters, multimeters, network analyzers, and bit error rate test sets.
* Must have a demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, understand intricate technical concepts and make informed decisions.
* Good written and oral communication skills.
* Must have intermediate knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office software.
* Must have the legal right to work in the US