We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a client engineering manager. This role will be responsible for growing, mentoring and leading a team of client engineers to build TV Everywhere applications with best-of-breed UX across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Xbox, Roku and future platforms.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Lead by example through coding, this is a hands-on engineering role.
2. Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
3. Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
4. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
5. Translate functional requirements into solutions that work well with current architecture.
6. Preform peer code reviews.
7. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
8. Identify inefficiencies and make recommendations.
9. Develop prototypes and proof of concept projects to test the waters with new technologies or ideas.
10. Stay informed with changes in technology and formally present new processes and technologies our team.
11. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
12. Provide skill development opportunities to direct reports and work with them in regular one-on-one sessions.
13. Work with personal connections, HR and recruiters to define and fill open positions.
14. Communicate team status, drive and morale.
15. Partner with other cross-functional managers to ensure capacity and velocity is maintained.
* 10+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
* 2+ years of experience managing successful engineering teams including hiring and performance management.
* High proficiency & technical leadership in native application development of one of the following: Swift, Android, BrightScript and React Native.
* At least one application in an App store with a favorable rating.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Commanding knowledge of device manufacturer guidelines, signing, certification and publishing processes.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
Experience with any of the following would be considered a plus…
* Design interest or background with a heightened attention to visual detail
* ReactJS or ReactNative application development
* HTML5 Video, ExoPlayer, Brightcove or other video players
* Client-side or Server-side ad stitching technology
* Ad Tech (VPAID, VAST) or Freewheel integration
* Connected device development like Roku, Xbox, FireTV or Smart TVs