Discovery Communications is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Manager of Urban Partnerships is a dynamic member of the Discovery Education team focused on building strategic partnerships and leading partnership efforts in the largest urban school systems. The Manager of Urban Partnerships is responsible for driving revenue, thought-leadership and strategic partnerships with senior level curriculum contacts. The Manager of Urban Partnerships will work with the Senior Vice President, Regional Directors and regional colleagues to merchandise success, execute strategic initiatives, and provide best-in-class customer service. Ideal candidate will develop exceptional internal and external relationships to maximize sales opportunities, achieve annual sales targets and ensure profitable growth aligned with business objectives.
1. Achieve assigned personal and team sales targets
2. Manage incoming leads & strategic outreach to drive partnerships and new business revenue
3. Create demand for Discovery’s suite of Techbook products
4. Schedule and host partnership meetings to understand district goals and communicate Discovery Education’s capacity to support strategic priorities
5. Deliver high-level presentations to administrators and curriculum directors
6. Employ a consultative approach to build, maintain & strengthen relationships with key decision makers
7. Demonstrate proactive territory management
8. Negotiate proposals and contracts that ensure profitable growth aligned with business objectives
9. Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, written/verbal communication, organizational, follow-up, consultative and presentation skills
10. Maintain high level of customer service at all times
11. Support other key projects needed to generate revenue and build senior level relationships
Product / Industry Knowledge
12. Demonstrate exceptional product/solution knowledge
13. Effectively articulate Discovery Education’s strategic vision and capacity to support transformation
14. Maintain thorough understanding of industry trends, current events, emerging technologies, etc.
Internal Collaboration Responsibilities
15. Partner with company personnel (i.e. Vice President, Director, Marketing, Communications, Account Services, Compliance, Legal, Finance, etc.) to develop and execute strategies to ensure attainment of personal and territory goals
Data Analysis Responsibility
16. Collaborate with Partnership Data Specialist to process all contracts and post sales request such as invoices, reimbursements, amendments, etc.
17. Play an integral role in maintaining the accuracy of database and data integrity (SalesLogix, Salesforce, Box, KMS, etc.)
18. Track and communicate individual sales progress on an on-going basis
19. Research and analysis industry/account trends and information
Fiscal & Travel Responsibility
20. Adhere to assigned regional budget by managing travel and event expenses to demonstrate high-level fiscal responsibility
21. Travel up to 60% required
22. Partnership and sales contact will be made by telephone, Webinar and/or in person
* Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience
* Approximately 3-5 years sales and/or account management experience with a proven track record of territory management, consultative sales and exceptional client relations
* Attention to detail and organizational skills essential
* Proven track record of effective strategic thinking and ability to prioritize/communicate diverse workload
* Proactively seek direction/guidance from management when expectations need clarification
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other related products/systems
* Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills
* Demonstrate a consultative “problem solving oriented” approach
* Ability to work independently as well as with team members
* Strong sense of personal initiative & urgency to accomplish tasks
* Expertise in industry trends and research
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States