Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products, and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all British primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
Discovery Education builds strategic partnerships with school districts to transform teaching and learning through the implementation of engaging standards-based K-12 digital curriculum, delivery of intensive professional development, and engagement within the global community. The Professional Development team plays a critical role in achieving our goals of providing the best customer experience in education and demonstrating the educational impact needed to retain and grow our district partnerships.
The Director of Professional Development for Talent & Operations is responsible for leading and managing three core strategic areas of the PD business: PD Talent Development, PD Operations, and Systems and Data Analysis.
The Director of Professional Development for Talent & Operations will provide leadership, management, and growth/innovation for all three core and strategic areas of the PD business. The Director of Professional Development for Talent & Operations will ensure all operational aspects of the business, including the use of all applicable business systems are operating seamlessly and data collection, dashboard review, and analysis is a central focus across the team. Designing tools to collect, monitor, and merchandise customer feedback is central to this role as well.
The Director of Professional Development for Talent & Operations will also ensure there is a solid team of talented professional development independent contractors (PD Specialists) with the right skills ready at all times to execute flawlessly on all professional development delivery models. The role will provide a clear and comprehensive vision for growth of the professional development specialists to build credibility and agility to scale and grow our PD business, secure renewals, develop new lines of potential business, expand existing business including work with Discovery’s Corporate Education Partnership Team, effectively support or consult with International PD accounts, and build learning communities amongst PD Specialists.
The Director of Professional Development for Talent & Operations will act as an internal and external expert and thought leader related to research and pedagogical grounding of our professional development methodologies as well as the impact we are making in education. This is not specifically a customer-facing role, but is critically focused on internal operations, customer feedback, program improvement, and development of the professional development specialists that deliver on all the paid professional development.
Comprehensive Development of PD Specialists (Independent Contractors)
1. Recruit the Independent Contractors who provide consultancy, coaching, and have the needed expertise to deliver on all the paid professional development at Discovery
2. Continually monitor the PD pipeline to forecast and anticipate needed skills and ensure the team of independent contractors are prepared in a timely fashion to execute flawlessly on all PD deliveries
3. Design a robust, efficient, and innovative on-boarding plan for independent contractors to ensure they are set up for flawless implementation of the PD services
4. Build the needed tools and capacity to monitor and evaluate the team of independent contractors – consider segmented tiers of expertise designed to align with PD delivery models and content – use customer feedback data and field observation to assess quality of independent contractors
5. Monitor market trends and feedback from the Partnership Team to ensure upcoming trends in professional development are evaluated to determine our needs for expansion of knowledge and capabilities
6. Lead all aspects of the initiatives associated with independent contractors and leverage the expertise across the Division to expand on capacity to support the independent contractors
7. Create a strong sense of community among the team of independent contractors to leverage, grow, and intellectually cultivate their talents for our customers
Systems & Data Analysis
8. Constantly evaluate customer and PD Specialist feedback to improve the ability of our PD Specialists to flawlessly deliver our current professional development portfolio of programs
9. Work with members of the PD customer facing teams and the PD Content Development Team to assess feedback and trends in the market against our offerings and delivery mediums to ensure we are leading the introduction of research-driven, transformative professional development
10. Work closely with the PD Content and PD Educational Consultant Teams to develop new programs and plan for the corresponding actions to ensure the PD Specialists and operational systems grow accordingly
Operations, Efficiency, and Scalability
11. Work with the PD team to improve the operational elements of the Professional Development delivery, including systems, tools, communication and management reporting
12. Work across the business and specifically with the Research & Evaluation Team to ensure all customer and PD Specialist feedback is used, organized, analyzed, presented to customers and internal stakeholders for the purpose of growing and improving the PD business and customer satisfaction
13. Work across the business to maximize the use and usability of Salesforce as a CRM
14. Work across the business to ensure all elements of contracting, invoicing, and associated business and logistical needs are efficient and timely for the team of talent/specialists
15. Work with internal teams to manage departmental budgets
16. Ensure all PD team members have the needed data reports and dashboards to monitor all areas of the PD business
17. Conduct regular strategic data reviews, including KPIs, surveys, usage, and other business metrics
18. Continually look for ways to innovate, scale, and improve the quality of our customer and talent/consultant experiences with Discovery
Merchandising and Reporting
19. Raise the internal and external profile of the PD Specialists to build individual credibility and increase their connection to the Discovery Education culture and employees
20. Embed the culture and brand of Discovery into the team of PD Specialists to ensure on-Brand messaging, flawless communication, and extend the reach of Discovery Education
21. Work with Marketing and the Content Development Team to ensure all PD delivery materials are on-Brand, professional, foster deep teacher engagement, and are cost effective
22. Conduct regular internal reviews to communicate data related to the performance of the PD Specialists for purposes of celebration, understanding, upselling, securing renewals, and consider what we can do better
General Skills & Requirements
* Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, anything that may impact the business by reading professional publications, researching all available prospect/product resources and participating in professional organizations
* Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills
* Understand new technologies and industry trends and be able to speak to how they impact Discovery Education
* Read professional literature regularly to contribute as a thought-leader and educational expert to DE
* Establish strong relationships will all DE internal stakeholders
* Advanced degree required, master’s degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience
* Teaching experience; administrative experience strongly preferred
* At least 8-10 years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility, with experience leading professional development implementations at the district or regional level
* Thorough working knowledge of pedagogy and professional development
* Stay abreast of innovation in learning methodologies, research-based best practices and adult learning theory
* Deep ties to the education community including the ability to navigate the political landscape of public school systems, educational associations, and networks
* Strong knowledge and experience with professional development
* Thorough working knowledge of education technology including digital media and emerging web technologies and their application in the educational environment
* Thorough understanding and experience with team development, systems thinking, and the importance of efficient operations and a data focus
* Impeccable interpersonal, presentation, organizational and verbal/written communication skills
* Background or experience in education sales/implementation preferred
* Attention to detail and the ability to manage a diverse workload
* Ability to work as a team and in a fast-paced environment
* Candidate must be willing to travel approximately 40-50% of the time with seasonal variations
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States