As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements, and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air, and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The Data Scientist/Statistician will be responsible for executing projects to support an innovative and internationally growing data team within a dynamic media business. These efforts will include optimization of revenue, viewership, engagement, retention, content value, and customer value for multiple media platforms. Specifically, you’ll be responsible for developing and operationalizing mathematical/statistical analyses, hypothesis tests, and algorithms/models. You’ll also be responsible for refining and executing operationalized algorithms and models.
You’ll need to be an innovative forward-thinker who will help lead end-to-end execution of data science projects
and contribute directly to existing and emerging business strategies and goals. Communication and ability to work in a collaborative team environment are essential.
You’ll work with the Data Science Manager, data & analytics team, data engineering team, and business stakeholders to develop, refine, and scale data products. Therefore, this role requires strong technical and communication skills, creativity and attention to detail, and experience executing data science projects from project definition to final product delivery.
1. Support Manager of Data Science in meeting with business stakeholders to flush out use cases and key requirements
2. Collaborate with data & technology teams to identify & source data sets required for analyses
3. Apply quantitative techniques to cleanse and explore large, complex data sets in preparation for further analysis
4. Apply appropriate data reduction, feature selection, and feature engineering techniques
5. Develop and implement hypothesis tests
6. Develop, validate, and operationalize appropriate mathematical and statistical algorithms and models, including implementation on large data sets
7. Review, make enhancements to, and execute operationalized algorithms and models
8. Develop data products for and communicate analytic insights to internal stakeholders
9. Assist in making statistical/mathematical techniques approachable and understandable to non-data scientists
10. Collaborate with data & technology teams to create repeatable processes and scalable data products
11. Identify appropriate data science solutions as new data-centric business problems arise
12. Stay current with new data science methods, technologies, and industry trends
13. Support Manager of Data Science in developing and implementing data science processes and best practices
* Master’s or PhD degree in statistics, econometrics, or similar field
* Minimum of 3 years proven business experience and technical expertise in developing & operationalizing mathematical/statistical models
* Experience cleansing and preparing large, complex datasets for analysis
* Expertise applying statistics or econometrics in a professional or other intensive problem-solving environment with large, complex datasets
* In-depth understanding and applied knowledge of cross-section analysis, time series analysis, panel data analysis, and mathematical optimization algorithms
* Expertise in statistical programming languages such as R or the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, etc.)
* Experience with SQL databases
* Familiarity with data visualization applications, like Tableau or RShiny
* General knowledge of or direct experience with the TV media industry
* Self-starter with strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
* Excellent communication skills -- ability to present complex information in a concise and compelling manner
* Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
* Must have the legal right to work in the US