Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Manager for Operations is responsible for ensuring the seamless day-to-day operations of the Silver Spring office within the Discovery Education division.
Key responsibilities include:
• Providing leadership across the functional operations key to running the business, such as facilities, administrative, contingent workforce, meetings, and more to ensure the 1XX-person office runs smoothly.
• Serving as departmental lead for all administrative topics in the Silver Spring office including the handling of inquiries and answering questions to properly direct to the appropriate individual or team.
• Providing support to Discovery Education Data Operations by analyzing customer data and performing various tasks around the data.
• Facilitate data cleansing projects and coordinate data loads with the IT team and data analysts.
• Coordinate the statistical analysis, production and presentation of data, including performance indicators, across all departments and provide reports and KPIs to senior executives, as requested.
• Overseeing the tracking of the CW workforce and working with hiring managers to onboard and following up on assignments to determine the need and eliminate duplicate functions.
• Management of Independent contractor workforce process - including tracking, facilitating request and working closely with Legal, Strategic Sourcing as well as ensuring payment in a timely manner.
• Acting as primary point-of-contact for logistics around the quarterly division meeting, and ensuring day-of-event broadcast (to ~300+ employees around the globe) runs flawlessly.
• Oversees management of department tools: Laptops/ Cell phones . Working closely with Senior Management and appropriate DCI department, ensures equipment is delivered on schedule; resolves problem issues immediately and ensures that there is the minimum amount of down time when equipment needs to be replaced. Also, accountable for the development and ongoing management of tracking system designed to ensure that department can accurately account for all items in department’s possession. Finally, when an employee departs, responsible for ensuring that all DCI property is accounted for, returned and de-activated; includes laptops, cell phones calling cards etc.
• Manages facilitating communications with Discovery Human Resources and department manager regarding the workspace preparations for new hires, on-boarding process support, departures, moves, cubicle repairs, vendor arrivals and installations and more.
• Point of contact with Facilities for the division including all regional offices including restacks and remodelling and office/space relocations.
• Serves as primary Safety Team Member, assisting during emergency situations and evacuations while informing colleagues of evacuation routes and additional safety procedures and work with senior management throughout Inclement weather situations by sending weather updates, suggesting localized course of action based on weather situation and communicating inclement weather notifications through hotline voicemail and email updates.
• Setting policies and procedures that creates efficiency for the department including maintaining an instructional manual and implementing procedures that adapt to our changing workplace environment.
• Handles information requests and performs clerical functions; prepares correspondence and reports, arranges conference calls, schedules meetings and sets-up audio/visual equipment and assists with department meetings (scheduling of meeting rooms, establishing video-conference service in coordination with both IT and AV teams, overseeing and ensuring meeting material delivery is coordinated between offices prior to meetings, etc.).
• Manages at least one Operations Coordinator position and provides back up support for division executives.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree
• A minimum of 5 years management experience
• A minimum of 3-5 years administrative business and communication experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, writing and editing ability focused primarily on correspondence and related documents, highly responsible and sensitive to quick turnaround deadlines
• Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, prioritization, and administrative skills
• Must demonstrate a strong and proactive work ethic including positive attitude, reliability and flexibility
• Strategic thinker with a firm understanding of how operations services support business objectives
• Ability to build and manage relationships with executives, management team and external guests
• Must be able to work on and prioritize multiple tasks while working well under pressure
• Absolute proficiency is necessary in Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States