As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
This role, critical to our Data Engineering team, is responsible for the design, development, configuration, administration and support of Discovery Communication’s MicroStrategy Business Intelligence platform. The individual will be required to participate in all SDLC phases and responsible for complex data modeling and advanced MicroStrategy project metadata development. The individual will frequently interact and assist with the ad-hoc reporting and access requests from business users. Continuing production support, platform maintenance and system enhancements are part of the position responsibilities. The Individual is expected to have a thorough understanding of the Business and data contained within every BI project while working on it. Should be able to work independently in implementing reporting solution.
1. System and Application Administration for MicroStrategy 9.0 or higher.
2. Design and Develop Dashboards using Documents and Visual Insight.
3. Install and configure upgrades of MicroStrategy releases and hot fixes among various distributed test and production environments.
4. Develop complex MicroStrategy architecture layer and base objects.
5. Assist with capacity planning and performance tuning activities.
6. On an on-going basis gather MicroStrategy system stats and process runtimes for system improvements
7. Maintain all necessary MicroStrategy tool updates and/or vendor patches and own deployment planning and coordination of changes with impacted areas.
8. Mentor others on the team with product functionality and provide guidelines and solutions on performance tuning techniques and industry best practices.
9. Understanding the existing BI environment, translating into new environment requirements and planning tasks to meet those requirements.
10. Maintain all documentation for MicroStrategy tools processes, technical standards and naming conventions
11. Work with Business users and be able to comprehend their requests into possible solutions using the current BI platform.
12. Well conversant with current Microstrategy products and tools and have means to solve any issues by reaching out to Microstrategy Support and Forums.
13. Develop custom look and feel of Microstrategy Web using SDK and other tools.
* Bachelor’s degree in business, management information systems, computer science, or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and experience
* 8-10 years of MicroStrategy Development -- Architecture, Reporting Objects, Web customization and Distribution Services.
* 5-6 years of Hands-on MicroStrategy Administration -- Enterprise 9.x or higher.
* 2-3 years of strong Data Visualization experience using Microstrategy Visual Insight.
* 1-2 years of Web Customization experience using Microstrategy SDK and it’s vast library of API’s.
* Advanced knowledge of DataWarehousing principles, ETL processes and dimensional modeling concepts.
* Strong understanding of Oracle database and the ability to perform data analysis, troubleshoot data integrity issues and trend data analysis.
* Excellent technical, logical, analytical and problem-solving skills to provide insight on development and application support.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills with technical and non-technical audiences.
* Knowledge of Tableau, PHP, JQuery is a huge plus.
* Experience in the media industry is a plus.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.