As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Emerging Technology Specialist is part of Discovery Technology Development & Strategy, Discovery’s internal research and development team. The Specialist works under the guidance of the Director of Emerging Technology to identify new technologies that present opportunities for (or threats to) Discovery’s businesses. The Specialist will participate in extensive research on new technology to assist in documenting business opportunities and use cases. The Specialist will spend most of their time working in the Silver Spring Technology lab, on occasion they may need to participate in field work or travel to other locations to support research initiatives. The Specialist is a clear thinker who can understand and execute complex test plans and work with a wide range of production, post production, broadcast, and IT products. The Specialist is a technology generalist with a strong background or education in production, post production, and IT systems.
1. Assist with research under the management of the Director. Research will include field and lab evaluation of systems such as cameras, camera rigs, monitors, editing tools, and other media production and post production tools.
2. Work with the director to design and build new tools or modify existing ones to fill gaps in technology and workflows
3. Provide regular updates to the Director on work in progress
4. Write reports on research for peer review and presentation to senior executives.
* Bachelor’s degree in media technology, engineering, production, or information technology preferred
* Must be familiar with the common tools and techniques of documentary/reality field production
* Must be able to quickly understand the operation of new equipment and to learn new concepts, systems, and tools
* Seeking a free thinker with the ability to tackle problems from multiple angles
* Must have excellent and clear verbal and written communications skills
* Must be a self-starter, able to conduct in-depth projects with a high level of autonomy
* Familiarity with common production, post production, and distribution tools including the Adobe Creative Suite, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, broadcast camera systems and camcorders, file based media workflows, transcoding systems, and video and audio measurement tools
* Familiarity with the basics of IP networks
* Must be able to lift 50 pounds
* Must be able to travel if required (<10% domestic US)
* Experience with video quality evaluation processes and tools highly preferred
* 3D printing or other fabrication experience preferred
* Programming or web development experience a plus
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States