As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The position is for a senior Developer who has full technical knowledge of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming. This position is responsible for design and development for IBM Data Stage/Talend and devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems that require the consideration of operating systems capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Provides technical contribution in the development of detailed specifications from which programs will be written and perform design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation. This position will be required to frequently interact with other development personnel and would often have the responsibility for quality assurance review and evaluation of new or existing code set.
1. Support exiting ETL projects in production. Trouble shoot ETL loads, Discrepancies and answer Users questions
2. Design processes to extract, transform and load the source data to the target data warehouse and Data lake.
3. Develop complex Data Stage and Talend Jobs.
4. Develop Talend Big data spark jobs.
5. Perform unit and system testing on the ETL processes and resulting data warehouse tables.
6. Support other ETL Developers in development and troubleshooting data
7. Create test cases and test the data.
8. Assist with capacity planning and performance tuning activities.
9. Mentor others on the team with product functionality and provide guidelines and solutions on performance tuning techniques and industry best practices.
10. Understanding the existing ETL environment, translating into new environment requirements and planning tasks to meet those requirements.
* Expert in IBM DataStage Development (Server and Parallel Jobs) -- Enterprise 11 and higher with 5-7 years of experience
* Hands-on experience on Talend.
* Must have knowledge of Oracle 11, Redshift database development and tuning
* Strong Unix /FTP scripting knowledge.
* Bachelor’s degree in business, management information systems, computer science, or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and experience.
* Strong understanding of AWS cloud environment.
* Excellent technical, logical, analytical and problem-solving skills to provide insight on development and application support.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills with technical and non-technical audiences.
* Knowledge of Data Warehouse appliances, BI reporting tools such as Micro Strategy is a plus.
* Experience in the media industry is a plus.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States