About Our Team & Job Summary:
As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
About the Job- Core Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The Manager of Technology Documentation & Analysis is a member of Discovery Technology Development & Strategy (TDS), Discovery’s internal research and development team. TDS finds new technology solutions that allow Discovery to adapt in a rapidly changing media industry. As part of that group, the Manager is responsible for researching, developing, writing, and maintaining Discovery’s technical standards for production, mastering, editing, and delivery. This includes Discovery' Global Technical Specifications, the core document that expresses Discovery's requirements to hundreds of global programming suppliers. The Manager is also responsible for building documentation for new technology products and workflows, working alongside the project teams creating those new solutions. He/she researches and investigates technology and standards trends within the media industry, working with his/her colleagues to make Discovery's leaders aware of new opportunities and threats. The Manager easily understands complex technology and workflows and expresses those complex ideas to Discovery's leadership and employees in ways they can easily understand. He/she is an excellent writer and communicator who writes clearly and concisely. He/she is an excellent project manager who drafts and reviews large and complex documents with dozens of collaborators. The Manager is a capable team player who develops and maintains effective partnerships with other groups both inside and outside of GT&O.
1. Research and analyze new developments in consumer and media technology, identifying opportunities and threats for Discovery
2. Collaborate with other members of the Technology Development & Strategy team, assisting them as they document the results of their research and create presentations and papers. Assist team members as they turn their research results into operational workflows
3. Develop technical specifications, guidelines, and educational materials to address new technology and new developments within Discovery's businesses and in the media industry.
4. Interview potential users of specifications and guides to build an understanding of the intended audience, the requirements, and the larger context of the business’ needs
5. Maintain and update Discovery’s current technical specifications, guides, one-sheets, and workflow documentation
6. Represent Discovery’s interests in media industry standards bodies. Attend industry standards meetings and report on industry standards activity to the team. Standards bodies may include SMPTE, ITU, and other media industry governing standards organizations
* 5 years of experience in either media engineering, post production, media technology, or technical project management
* Bachelor’s degree in media, telecommunications, engineering, or technical project management
* Hands-on experience working with common television production and post production tools, file-based workflows, and media asset management systems
* Experience with document design and illustration and a talent for creating clear, concise, and engaging print and web documents
* Intermediate knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, and the Microsoft Office product family
* Experience with technical writing for the media industry or with media standards bodies
* Experience working with or for governing standards bodies in the media industry
* Excellent technical writing skills. All candidates must provide technical writing samples
* Experience managing long-term projects with many collaborators
* Must be able to travel as needed
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States