As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
In Solutions Delivery, we provide software design and development services to business units around the globe. We provide quality assurance testing services, both manual and automated, for all in-house developed and third party applications supporting our internal customers. In addition, we provide tier two application production support services to over one hundred different applications globally.
Our focus is enterprise application development using state of the art front end development tools and database technology. We follow an agile software development lifecycle methodology for all new development projects and a hybrid waterfall/agile methodology for legacy application modifications. We are currently in the process of migrating many of our applications to Amazon Web Services and transitioning to a continuous integration model.
We support all major revenue generating areas within Discovery including US Ad Sales, International Ad Sales, US Affiliate Sales, and International Affiliate Sales. We also support Discovery’s global content supply chain – from idea submission through production through scheduling and airing across the globe.
The IT Application Developer III is responsible for designing, coding, and implementing complex business applications using our current suite of web development tools. This position is specifically focused on the design and development of one page, enterprise-level web applications using leading edge Java development technologies, frameworks, and patterns.
This is a great opportunity for a senior level, skilled Java developer as this position is responsible for one of Discovery’s most important projects and application set. The project and applications support Discovery’s content supply chain globally providing worldwide visibility into Discovery’s massive programming library. The team supporting this project follows an agile development SDLC. This role will be the technical lead for the Content Lifecycle Management (CLM) project and will be responsible for interfacing with the business and technical architecture teams, product owners, business analysts, quality assurance analysts, the production support team, as well as many other infrastructure teams and end users as well. The IT Application Developer III is also responsible for overseeing and leading code reviews and for mentoring more junior developers. As the technical lead, this position is also responsible for approving all development estimates and designs and providing project status.
* Five to seven years software development experience
* BS in Computer Science required or equivalent experience
* Demonstrated systems design experience specifically in complex integrations and workflows
* Ability to work on multiple projects at one time and to ensure that overall priorities are being met
* Strong presentation and communication skills; ability to interface with other groups within the GT&O organization
* Excellent communication skills, including the ability to articulate issues and solutions
* One to three years leading software development projects
* Legal right to work in the United States
Object Oriented Java
* Object Relational Mapping using iBatis/MyBatis or Hibernate
* Spring MVC
* Spring Bean Framework
* RDBMS (Design, Development, SQL, PL*SQL, TransactSQL)
* Experience developing robust Web UI
* Dojo toolkit (Other frameworks such as Angular, Kendo or JQuery widgets are good substitutes)
* One Page type application experience a plus (application has multiple pages, but browser only renders initial, additional pages are rendered via Ajax/DOM manipulation)
Recent Agile Development Methodology Experience
* Proven experience with iterative development
* Good understanding of SCRUM framework and its implementation
* Oracle, PL*SQL
* SQLServer, TransactSQL
* Object Oriented Development
* Object Mapping
* DataGrid Frameworks
* Node.JS, Req.JS, Angular, D3.JS, Kendo, Knockout, Hibernate, Struts, JQuery
* Experience working with/on Amazon AWS Cloud (VPC, EC2, S3, RDS…)
* Microservice development